Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Tikka Sandwich Spread

Options
  • 14-07-2012 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hi,

Have fallen in love with the Aldi Chicken tikka sandwich spread and was wondering if I could make it myself? The aldi one taste just like, if not better than the O Briens one!

I have googled (and searched here!) but didn't really get very far! I don't want to make this from pre done chicken tikka. Just normal chicken added to a tikka mayo type sauce?

Anyone have a good recipe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Just find a good tikka paste, add it to normal mayo to taste, finely chop a chicken fillet, poach the pieces, allow to cool and mix in to the mayo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Just find a good tikka paste, add it to normal mayo to taste, finely chop a chicken fillet, poach the pieces, allow to cool and mix in to the mayo.

Is it OK not to cook paste though? Read differing comments on it!

Thanks for the reply though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It would be ok to not cook the paste but it won't taste great imho, you need to heat the spices to release the flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Those pastes will taste a little 'raw' without cooking first. Personally I'd dry fry the paste a little, then add the diced chicken, fry until the chicken is cooked, let it cool and then add the mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some pastes do have to be cooked, and not just for taste. I know some of Pataks pastes and perhaps sauces are not heat treated and so must be cooked for health reasons.

Most tinned food and many jarred foods are sterilized and in this process they are cooked. This can effect taste and also costs more, so some do not do it. A thick salty paste can preserve itself but may require cooking.

On tesco Pataks tikka paste says
    Use as a marinade, either on its own or blended 50:50 with natural yogurt. Marinate meat then bake, grill or BBQ.It is important that this product is not consumed uncooked. Stir well before use.
    I think I read more detailed reasoning before.

It could be uncooked spices causing stomach upset or something. Like many mushrooms should be cooked as they have indigestible enzymes, people often eat "magic mushrooms" raw and blame vomiting on picking the wrong ones, or them being dirty, when usually it will be the enzymes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement