Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Screenings in the Milk Market

Options
  • 14-07-2012 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

By Anne Sheridan
    Published on Tuesday 10 July 2012 14:00

FINE food, good music and now films - the Milk Market is expanding yet again, and will be showing movies on the big screen for the first time later this month.

The famous market, which continues to grow following a €2m redevelopment two years ago, has announced that the first outdoor screening will be shown on July 28.

The classic 1952 film starring Gene Kelly, Singin’ in the Rain, will be the first showing, followed by Close Encounters of the Third Kind on Saturday, August 4.

The new addition to the line-up follows a series of concerts successfully held in the market, including those by Imelda May, Calvin Harris, and The Sawdoctors.

Voice of Ireland judge and pop star Bressie - aka Niall Breslin - is to play a September gig in the ‘Big Top’ at the Milk Market. He will play there on Friday, September 28 and tickets are available to book through Dolan’s.

Fine Gael councillor Diarmuid Scully, a member of the market’s management committee, said the intention of introducing the film screenings is to “build on the commercial success of the market, which has become a shining light in the city” in terms of how it has rejuvenated itself.

“We are also very conscious that the market should play a cultural role in Limerick city,” he added.

According to a new study on the market, which was undertaken by LIT, it is also having a “definite knock-on effect” for other businesses in the city. The full study is expected to become available in the coming days. Further films may be added to the line-up after they have “tested the waters” with the first two showings. While the traditional Saturday food market continues to be as popular as ever, it is also open on Fridays and Sundays. On Friday it’s home to the ‘Friday flea’ market, which offers an eclectic mix of fine foods, flowers, vintage and retro-style fashions, crafts, antiques, books, music, art and other items. Cllr Scully said over time they hope that the market days could be extended to four days per week, or ideally seven, but footfall on the Friday and Sunday markets would have to increase first. Tickets to see the films will be priced at €7, and will be available to buy in the market from July 20.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Would be great if they started a semi-regular screening of classics, will be interesting to see how this works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

That'll be cool, one off screenings of films are always on around Dublin and Galway so bout time someone started doing it here

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

krudler wrote: »
    That'll be cool, one off screenings of films are always on around Dublin and Galway so bout time someone started doing it here

Not to go into too much detail or name names, but there have been objections in Limerick in the past to similar ideas involving a city centre location with one or two screens that would focus on classic films only.

Personally I would love to see the idea take off in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not to go into too much detail or name names, but there have been objections in Limerick in the past to similar ideas involving a city centre location with one or two screens that would focus on classic films only.

Personally I would love to see the idea take off in Limerick.

what, why? that'd be great for the city, the Screen in dublin has constant sellouts for their big classic movies.

what, why? that'd be great for the city, the Screen in dublin has constant sellouts for their big classic movies.

Let's see if a market for this develops and it might spur things on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Can't wait to go see it! Picking up tickets for myself and herself, gonna be fun on the bun! :)

Lets just say that perceived competition is not always appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

Are these people on drugs?
    It was around 12*C in town earlier tonight, and this is the summer.

Listen carefully... It's the sound of me giving completely up on the hairbrainers running things in the council and their offshoots...

g

godfrey wrote: »
    Are these people on drugs?
    It was around 12*C in town earlier tonight, and this is the summer.

Listen carefully... It's the sound of me giving completely up on the hairbrainers running things in the council and their offshoots...

g

Indeed, I can only assume it'd be impossible for people who wish to attend to dress for it, thanks for the advice.

I doubt they'll enforce a strict t-shirt and shorts policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

This is a great idea. Some good initiative to make further use of the MM. The only thing I would criticise is the price. €7 is on the dear side I feel, especially for classic films. I'm in NY at the moment and they run the exact same kind of festival in Bryant Park every Monday evening where they screen a classic film, but it's free. I understand that this is not be possible with the smaller population and a cover charge may be necessary, but the cost of a box office ticket for a new film is around €10. They should at least include something for the audience in the €7, like some light refreshments.

That said I think the idea is good, but they need to relook the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Like Taco chips said I think the price is a bit too high. People will just rent the movie instead for a cheaper price. But I still think it sounds a bit exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

What I find frustrating is that even with a great initiative like this, they ALWAYS end up overpricing or charging themselves out of the market. The most popular, crowd drawing events will always be the free/cheap ones. They're not going to meet the potential that an event like this has with a charge of €7. Straight away you are going to repel students and teenagers who may be interested.

So it's a great idea, but I'm worried it's going to fall flat due to the price. I don't want it to, but I think it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Let's see how it goes.

Other movie nights have kicked off in other places too. The Blind Pig / Dr. John's on Thomas Street are showing classic movies on Tuesday nights. Free in.

Also, Cobblestone Joe's are running the 'Mo Cinema'. I think it's on one evening per month (also Tuesdays, I think, but not sure).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

So I give it maybe ten mins in before the local sum try their best to disrupt the movie by lobbing anything they can find at the canopy or in between it and the exterior wall.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

hightower1 wrote: »
    So I give it maybe ten mins in before the local sum try their best to disrupt the movie by lobbing anything they can find at the canopy or in between it and the exterior wall.

Ever the optimist! :pac:

hightower1 wrote: »

There has been concerts held there without any problems, so the same lack of hassle will probably be the most likely outcome when the films get shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

And I'd suspect the €7 is to keep certain elements out.
    I enquired about this for outbreak last year and no joy, may see if we can get something set up this year.anyone know the organiser?

zuroph wrote: »
    I enquired about this for outbreak last year and no joy, may see if we can get something set up this year.anyone know the organiser?

Dawn Of The Dead double bill (original version and 2004 remake) for Halloween.:D

zuroph wrote: »

Get on to Cllr. Diarmuid Scully about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

zulutango wrote: »
    Also, Cobblestone Joe's are running the 'Mo Cinema'. I think it's on one evening per month (also Tuesdays, I think, but not sure).

It's been the first Wednesday of every month so far - it's only been on in June and July anyway. I went to the July one and there were some excellent short films shown. Free popcorn too! More details here:

https://www.facebook.com/MoCinema

• Advertisement

Get on to Cllr. Diarmuid Scully about it.

Why Diarmuid Scully?

Thought Mick Dolan was behind most entertainment events in the Milk Market.

zulutango wrote: »
    Why Diarmuid Scully?

Thought Mick Dolan was behind most entertainment events in the Milk Market.

He's the guy mentioned in the Leader article, if he's not in charge he can tell Zuroph who is.

He's the guy mentioned in the Leader article, if he's not in charge he can tell Zuroph who is.

Ah ok. Scully is a good councillor to be fair to him. Why he's in FG is beyond me though!

Advertisement