Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEM 2013 and beyond

Options
  • 14-07-2012 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Everyone,

Things sure are looking a bit quiet around this board! Is there many people out there planning on sitting the Gamsat 2013? Have you started studying yet at all?

I'm planning on sitting it for the first time in March...still just learning about the exam and how it works and also learning about the programs that are being run by the different universities. I have to say it looks like a really great course and this seems to be corroborated by many people posting on here whom are already happily studying it.

But something that was bothering me slgihtly, maybe those people that are already studying GEM in Ireland or have been researching it a while longer would know about this...do you know is the future running of the program pretty much definite and guaranteed to go ahead for years to come?

I was just wondering (before committing some much time and effort to study and preperation) about such things, wondering if the program is pretty safe from the various budget cutbacks etc...? And if the commitment to continue to run it from the various institutions is generally going strong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

Hey

Best of luck with the GAMSAT and the study! I'm just going into 3rd GEM myself.

As far as the future of the programme is concerned wrt funding, it's worth noting that the fees are climbing in small-ish increments in the last couple of years while the loans are not being increased. That being said, it is still very much manageable to live off of :)

It's worth noting that the feedback about the GEM students that we receive from consultants etc in hospitals seems to be very positive so there seems to be a push to keep more students coming in through that route. There will always be the question of funding but it's the risk we all had to take starting the course after the recession hit :( I suppose in the worst case if they decided to discontinue the program, as happened with a course in DCU when I was in undergrad, the usual thing seems to be to allow the current students to finish their degree but they stop taking in new students.

And always remember that the course is pretty lucrative for the various institutions as well ;)

I'm not sure if that helps?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Im sitting March 2013. Gonna start studying in September - Im waiting to hear if Ive got on to a Bio and Chem course at the mo, if not Ill be studying on my lonesome as Im up in Derry - Not as many things going on RE GAMSAT prep as in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭yesman2000

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this post but here goes...

Are there many graduate medicine graduates in the workplace at the moment ? What would your perspective on the GEM programme be since you have seen the course and gone through the whole system. Does the course completely take over your life for four years, and indeed beyond. Does the life of being a doctor take over everything. I am not asking this because I would be unwilling to undertake the intense workload, or afraid of hard work. But rather from a life balance perspective. I'm very sporty and would have to keep this up no matter what career I pursue. I would never want being a doctor to define me. I understand hard graft is imbedded in a medical career but does it have to be the definition of a person. In short, would there be any scope for extracurricular activities, such as a team sport 3-4 times a week during GEM, and beyond.

P.S I'm not trying to offend anyone with this post

Thanks in advance

Advertisement