Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Differences between ks p90 and tm p90

Options
  • 13-07-2012 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

hey guys

i'm new to airsoft and am looking at the p90.

from searching around there are two main p90s

one made by ks and the other by tokyo marui

both are made mostly of plastic like the real p90.

but what are the real differences as there is a big difference in price with the tm one almost double the ks one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

The TM one is superior in every way, except in sheen and cost.

The Tokyo Marui has a superior hop up, and will last you a very very long time. The gun will out range most of the competition, despite its relatively short length. It is well made, and tuned for 1 joule performance - nothing needs to be touched internally.

The KS is a nice piece - plastic looks grand, and the gun is solid enough. Spend some time tinkering with the hop, and you'll have a nice piece. I've never had any hassles from mine to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭dunworth1

thanks
    in your opinion is the TM one worth double the price of the ks.

i'm only worried that i'll buy the ks one and a few weeks later it will break

There is absolutely no question that the TM one is better.

But, as to whether it is worth twice the price? That one is not so easy to answer. There is very little that cannot be done with time, money, effort and knowledge. Using the money saved on the KS, you could build yourself a very well performing gun, and still have money left over. Hell, you could buy yourself a KS P90, a spare KS gearbox, all of the upgrade parts and still have money left over.

But, if you're not sure about what to do, or whether you have the know-how to do it, then I would say yes, without a doubt, the TM is worth the money. TM's are incredible. Expensive? Yes, but worth the money in their own way. Their reputation is infallible, and they only care about the Japanese market. Their prices are the same everywhere, and are growing thanks to the strength of the Yen, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭miske

Inari wrote: »
    The TM one is superior in every way, except in sheen and cost.

The Tokyo Marui has a superior hop up, and will last you a very very long time. The gun will out range most of the competition, despite its relatively short length. It is well made, and tuned for 1 joule performance - nothing needs to be touched internally.

The KS is a nice piece - plastic looks grand, and the gun is solid enough. Spend some time tinkering with the hop, and you'll have a nice piece. I've never had any hassles from mine to be honest.
    There is absolutely no question that the TM one is better.

But, as to whether it is worth twice the price? That one is not so easy to answer. There is very little that cannot be done with time, money, effort and knowledge. Using the money saved on the KS, you could build yourself a very well performing gun, and still have money left over. Hell, you could buy yourself a KS P90, a spare KS gearbox, all of the upgrade parts and still have money left over.

But, if you're not sure about what to do, or whether you have the know-how to do it, then I would say yes, without a doubt, the TM is worth the money. TM's are incredible. Expensive? Yes, but worth the money in their own way. Their reputation is infallible, and they only care about the Japanese market. Their prices are the same everywhere, and are growing thanks to the strength of the Yen, unfortunately.

Hi interested in getting one or the other of these too. Inari do you own a TM and a KS and have you skirmished both types?. Are the magazines interchangeable??

Am leaning towards the KS for the Price myself. 320fps with a consistant hop up giving a flat trajactory out of a KS can't be too much different from 320fps with a consistant hop up giving a flat trajactory out of a TM. And I think TM's come 270-280 fps stock. So your probably gettin more fps from the KS. The TM dosen't come with a tight bore and from personal experance the TM gears aren't made of the strongest material. The high cycle is great performance from a 8.4V batt.
    I suppose If I had the money to burn I'd Buy the TM, upgrade it to 320ish fps, buy the custom 9.6v battery for it (it does not come with a battery or charger), put in a 6.03mm tight bore and buy a couple of HI caps. But what i'll most likely do is buy the KS for less than half the price for pretty much the same performance. A constant 320ish (got from a proper spring downgrade) with a consistant hop up and I'll get as many kills as I would have from a TM and I'll still have a couple of hundred euro to spend on ammo, sites, gear, etc..

• Advertisement

The thing about TM's is that they are never the same once opened - they perform very well stock, but just are never quite right when stronger springs etc are put in. TM are built to perform purely for the Japanese market, which is 1 joule like us, as you already know. There's a reason they choose their barrels and power setting as it is. Other guns bump the power rating to gain favour in the cheaper market, hence the rampant misinformation of "MOAR FPS IS BETTARRRR!!!"

The KS is a nice piece, and gearbox is decent. Hop up chamber is pretty poor, and needs work. The TM gearbox is grand, and their hop up is perfection. If you intend on tinkering then get the KS - you'd get the TM if you're leaving well alone, at least that's my opinion on the matter.

But make no mistake about it...out of the box, the TM is worlds apart in terms of their hop up. You can get similar performance out of the KS by ensuring good solid compression and air seal, and using a TM P90 hop up chamber...but for whatever reason (i.e. care and attention to every part used, proper R&D etc) the TM will still be a little more consistent.

I went with the KS personally, as I found the TM to be far creakier...the plastic is very sheeny, and just is not as nice looking, plus I tend to tinker around so it made more sense to save on the KS and just upgrade it, and even then it was a case of regrease, reshim, make sure compression etc is all good, modify hop up chamber for better/more consistent hop, and swap out barrel + hop up rubber and nub and I got a very well performing gun at a fraction of the price.

That said, the King Arms one is the temptress at the moment because of it having the correct TR receiver. I am very tempted to pick it up, though I love my current P90, and I don't need two :(

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭miske

The thing about TM's is that they are never the same once opened - they perform very well stock, but just are never quite right when stronger springs etc are put in. TM are built to perform purely for the Japanese market, which is 1 joule like us, as you already know. There's a reason they choose their barrels and power setting as it is. Other guns bump the power rating to gain favour in the cheaper market, hence the rampant misinformation of "MOAR FPS IS BETTARRRR!!!"

The KS is a nice piece, and gearbox is decent. Hop up chamber is pretty poor, and needs work. The TM gearbox is grand, and their hop up is perfection. If you intend on tinkering then get the KS - you'd get the TM if you're leaving well alone, at least that's my opinion on the matter.

But make no mistake about it...out of the box, the TM is worlds apart in terms of their hop up. You can get similar performance out of the KS by ensuring good solid compression and air seal, and using a TM P90 hop up chamber...but for whatever reason (i.e. care and attention to every part used, proper R&D etc) the TM will still be a little more consistent.

I went with the KS personally, as I found the TM to be far creakier...the plastic is very sheeny, and just is not as nice looking, plus I tend to tinker around so it made more sense to save on the KS and just upgrade it, and even then it was a case of regrease, reshim, make sure compression etc is all good, modify hop up chamber for better/more consistent hop, and swap out barrel + hop up rubber and nub and I got a very well performing gun at a fraction of the price.

That said, the King Arms one is the temptress at the moment because of it having the correct TR receiver. I am very tempted to pick it up, though I love my current P90, and I don't need two :(

So do you only have the KS P90? If so Do you know If the mags are compatable with the TM?
    While I'm not a proponent of more fps is better in reguards that the fps limit neededs to be above the 328 mark, I do find a big difference between a 280fps 0.7 joule aeg and a 0.92joule shooting around the 320 mark. especially in terms of energy carried into the target at range. I have a TM famas and for reasons I'm sure you know I've left it stock, around the 275fps mark (Hop off) and while the ROF is high I've noticed quite a few hit shrugged off at range compared to my AK shooting near the joule at the same range.
    I think I'll just go for the KS and do some tinkering if needed.

Yup, only own the KS. Mags are completely compatible - all P90's use the same mags, at least all of the ones I've seen and used (CA, KA, KS & TM).

If you find people are not taking hits and are just shrugging them off, try using 0.25g BB - I use a TM Foliage warrior firing at circa 270 fps w/0.20g BB and everyone calls hit when there's 0.25's in it :D...well, anyone I actually hit!

As I was saying though, if you intend on tinkering (and the P90 is a great gun to tinker with), the KS is a lovely gun for the money, and one you can make perform excellently :)

Advertisement