Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Developer Salary?

Options
  • 13-07-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am wondering what the average wage I could expect as a junior web developer?

I am looking at applying to a few open positions as a junior web developer.
    I do not have a college degree, but have thought myself HTML/CSS, javascript/jQuery, good bit of PHP/mySQL, good with WordPress, a bit of Joomla, good design skills in programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, some 3D model making.

I'm 19, just over 4 years of freelance experience, a good few websites in my portfolio, and I really want to learn more, and do more!

I think I would be a very good fit as a junior web developer.

How much could I expect to earn do you think? The reason I'm asking this is because I'd like to figure out of it's worth applying for positions all around the country, so I know I can afford bills, rent, etc.

Any help & advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Mister Man wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am wondering what the average wage I could expect as a junior web developer?

I am looking at applying to a few open positions as a junior web developer.
    I do not have a college degree, but have thought myself HTML/CSS, javascript/jQuery, good bit of PHP/mySQL, good with WordPress, a bit of Joomla, good design skills in programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, some 3D model making.

I'm 19, just over 4 years of freelance experience, a good few websites in my portfolio, and I really want to learn more, and do more!

I think I would be a very good fit as a junior web developer.

How much could I expect to earn do you think? The reason I'm asking this is because I'd like to figure out of it's worth applying for positions all around the country, so I know I can afford bills, rent, etc.

Any help & advice would be great.

~18K at most with no third level qualifications. Though with more experience that number goes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

18k is very low, if you have any skills and experience at all.

I just spotted this posting for a Juinor Web Designer role which lists sallery as 25k - 40k. Third level qualifications are not listed as a requirement, experience is. I think you'll find that is not uncommon.

http://m.prosperity.ie/jobs/930674304_junior_web_designer.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Its "salary" dude - make that mistake again and youll be lucky to get 15k

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Well, I do have a job offer, but I haven't yet got the details of the position just yet. (regarding salary, holiday, etc)
    It's 9-6 Mon - Sat.

Considering my knowledge, & current experience, along with a 54hour week (Without lunch or break etc, as I don't know how long they are) - How much would I expect?

I would like to think 25k is a respectable amount, considering the hours per week - But what do you think?

I googled what the average for a junior web dev in Ireland is, and a website said 25k-35k. After that, I could find too much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Sean^DCT4

Hi all,

I have attached the 2012 salary survey from Morgan McKinley. You will see on page 34 that the average salary for a PHP/Web Developer with 1-2 years experience is 28k(lower) - 35k(higher). Graduate developers appear to be coming in at 26k(lower) - 30k(higher). This seems quite accurate to me from my experience.

• Advertisement

Sean^DCT4 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have attached the 2012 salary survey from Morgan McKinley. You will see on page 34 that the average salary for a PHP/Web Developer with 1-2 years experience is 28k(lower) - 35k(higher). Graduate developers appear to be coming in at 26k(lower) - 30k(higher). This seems quite accurate to me from my experience.

Some very useful info Sean. Thanks for sharing it! I'll post here later this week when I get details of the job offer!
    Thanks all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ChickenZombie

Thanks for the pdf Sean... & best of luck Mister Man...

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Well, I do have a job offer, but I haven't yet got the details of the position just yet. (regarding salary, holiday, etc)
    It's 9-6 Mon - Sat.

Considering my knowledge, & current experience, along with a 54hour week (Without lunch or break etc, as I don't know how long they are) - How much would I expect?

I would like to think 25k is a respectable amount, considering the hours per week - But what do you think?

I googled what the average for a junior web dev in Ireland is, and a website said 25k-35k. After that, I could find too much about it.

I would check what they are offering against some sort ot employment law. It does seem like a huge time committment for a junior web developer job.

9-6 Monday to Saturday...wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 irishd

AFAIK 54 hours per week is not legal for that sort of work ... the max allowed is 48 hours per week averaged over a certain period.

Also, you can't be made to work more than 4.5 hours without a 15 minute break, or more than 6 hours without a 30 minute break.

So if the hours are 9-6 Mon-Sat, then I guess there would have to be an hour for per day for lunch/breaks or maybe a half day Saturday.

Even then, sounds like the employer is a right b****x ... I'd pass on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ChickenZombie

The world is full of ****ers Mr Man... You need the experience a.t.m. Take it. Ditch them in 2 years and you'll be on a fine road...

• Advertisement

The world is full of ****ers Mr Man... You need the experience a.t.m. Take it. Ditch them in 2 years and you'll be on a fine road...

That's what I'm think myself,. The two years of experience along with freelance work should be more then enough for a decent mid level job.

On the other hand, a 48 hour week (assuming an hour break a day) is rough going for anything under 20k in my eyes. I should know tomorrow what he's offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jesus, I'm left with my mouth open after reading this thread... I've been dreadfully underselling myself in terms of salary :( Well I suppose I've been mainly interested in getting experience until now, and was willing to work for sh*t money if it meant I could learn from more experienced developers... As it turns out I'm working for sh*t money, but not learning anything from my colleagues!

Next job I'm gonna be a lot more demanding tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

i've modified the thread title to fix the typo's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

...I should know tomorrow what he's offering.

How did you get on??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Are you raking it in now OP 5 years down the line.

Are you raking it in now OP 5 years down the line.

God...I forgot all about this post!

I ended up taking that position in the end. Can't remember the details exactly, but the salary was 22k a year, if I'm not mistaken...
    Lots of hard work, which at the time I wasn't ready for. Lasted 6-9 months (give or take) before I called it quits.

It wasn't the job for me unfortunately. I dreaded getting up for work every morning, often calling in sick/some other ****e excuse.
    My boss however, was one of the nicest people I have ever meet - even to this day! We still keep in touch from time to time to see how our careers/life is going. A fantastic mentor that I didn't appreciate at that age. I'm glad he keep in touch with me...

I ended up abandoning my web development interest 3 or so years ago, and going for what I really wanted (based on advice I was given on here believe) which was design.
    Currently working as a full-time designer, and couldn't be happier! Money isn't amazing, but it's plenty for my current situation! It's also less then 5 minutes from my house, which helps my lazy ass!

I won't say how much i make currently, as I feel it holds no relevance to this tread - but I will say I make more then my roll in question here...
    As I said, not very relevant as I'm considered a middle-weight designer where I currently work, along with head of digital design (More of a fancy business card title then anything!)

I wish I could offer some wisdom/advice here, but honestly - I just went after what I truly wanted to do, and go lucky!

I guess at the end of it all, that's my advice for people...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

It wasn't the job for me unfortunately. I dreaded getting up for work every morning, often calling in sick/some other ****e excuse.

I ended up abandoning my web development interest 3 or so years ago, and going for what I really wanted (based on advice I was given on here believe) which was design.

Currently working as a full-time designer, and couldn't be happier! Money isn't amazing, but it's plenty for my current situation! It's also less then 5 minutes from my house, which helps my lazy ass!
    That's the kernel of the greatest truth you can learn in life. If you follow your heart and not your head you'll be happier - you may not be as rich as you could possibly be if you were to follow your head and go for the money but you certainly will be less miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

God...I forgot all about this post!

I ended up taking that position in the end. Can't remember the details exactly, but the salary was 22k a year, if I'm not mistaken...
    Lots of hard work, which at the time I wasn't ready for. Lasted 6-9 months (give or take) before I called it quits.

My boss however, was one of the nicest people I have ever meet - even to this day! We still keep in touch from time to time to see how our careers/life is going. A fantastic mentor that I didn't appreciate at that age. I'm glad he keep in touch with me...

I won't say how much i make currently, as I feel it holds no relevance to this tread - but I will say I make more then my roll in question here...
    As I said, not very relevant as I'm considered a middle-weight designer where I currently work, along with head of digital design (More of a fancy business card title then anything!)

I wish I could offer some wisdom/advice here, but honestly - I just went after what I truly wanted to do, and go lucky!

I guess at the end of it all, that's my advice for people...

Good to hear. When you say design, what are you doing most at work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...except you're then competing with everyone else who does the same thing...and wondering why you can't get a decent salary...

Advertisement