Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont people post

Options
  • 13-07-2012 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭

This puzzles me all the time when I read a person say I CANT POST !!!!
    Now I often wonder is that the truth or do they really mean I WONT POST
    Yes I know it is their absolute right to refuse to post but then why not have the guts to say I WONT POST

It seems a bit unfair to me as some of these people are quiet happy to order parts from overseas like China and other foreign parts and these are often posted and yes I know some are delivered via a courier also
    I personally have had an offer of asking refused because the seller CANT POST and yet the same seller some weeks later asked me if I was willing to post a item to him I had for sale, an odd form of double standards me thinks

Now maybe I have it all wrong and maybe these people CANNOT post as maybe they are suffering from some form of Illness/Disability and genuinely cannot get to the post office and if so then let me apologise to them here and now
    Having said that there is an active member of this forum living in this part of the country side who is a Paraplegic and an Amputee and therefore wheelchair bound and yet he manages to post a lot of stuff to his fellow softers on this forum and I have never heard him say I CANNOT post and besides him and maybe a few others who can legitimately say I CANT POST then what is the reason for the rest of the I CANT POST brigade

Now I regularly send stuff by post ranging from AEGs, Pistols and various other bits and pieces (current count 53 sent) and also have received a lot of AEGs, Pistols and other stuff (current count 47 received) and never had a problem with the postal service other then stuff arriving too early in the morning
    So it puzzles me when I hear the same people who CANT POST say that they do not trust the post office
    So what are your thoughts ????????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I don't post because It's a pain in the hole. I also like to see who I'm selling to, and I also like to cover my ass in case some tossbag decides to claim the good never arrived.

People have jobs, live far from post offices, aren't bothered. It's a legitimate thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

A deal done and dusted is best done face to face, where everything is clear as day, item is inspected collected and paid for all in the one go.

It's a little annoying that people will not post, but at the same time I do fully understand. I am not one for selling my gear, but if I was to part with it I would want to be meeting with the buyer to tell them exactly what's what, and make sure they agree completely before parting with some precious currency.

What is irritating above all else is people who put gear up for sale, and make no effort to actually sell their gear, where if they won't post they don't exactly make it easy to meet and finish the deal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Arkslippy

I don't post because im fortunate to live in a part of the country where i don't have to. i just meet up.

I've i lived in some remote place like maybe Clare or Donegal it would be pretty awful having to rely on packages

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Because its my sell and I'll do whatever the f*ck I want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

Agree with everything said thus far. Its a sellers prerogative if he/she doesn't want to post. Some people don't use Paypal. Others may live far away from the bank.

Poorly thought out thread/rant to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

I haven't sold much myself, but if I was I can imagine I would be reluctant to post.

There is the hassle of packing it for posting for starters. I don't have boxes, cardboard or bubble wrap lying around so sorting that would be a problem to begin with even for a small item (sight, magazine) let alone something like an AEG where a minimum effort needs to be made to cover the shape. Then there is the problem of getting it to a post office. My core work hours mean I am at work when post offices are open, and I am certainly not bringing something like an AEG into the office to do it at lunch time.

Added to which, as Inari said, I would rather do any transaction face to face. So for me I would see posting as just being hassle. I appreciate it when someone can post to me, but I just don't see myself as being in a position where I can easily reciprocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭tudenham10

I have no problem whatsoever with posting nor with An Post, it depends on the buyer and what I'm selling. I have posted numerous items with no issue and have received items in the same way, I was stung with a sale on here a couple of years back.

The buyer paid via PayPal and was a sound chap to deal with but when he received the aeg, he claimed the bolt had a rattle and he wasn't happy with it. I took the gun back and refunded him but if he was being honest it was a case of buyers regret. All of this would have been avoided if we had done a meet up.

I will continue to offer postage, as most of the time it is cheaper and less hassle than driving from Mullingar but I will always be a bit weary after that little episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

I don't post because of following:

- It's a hassle
    - certain users seem to think its a human right to get stuff posted to them and then get sarky when you politely point out that you do not post, so rather than get into that whole argument it's easier to operate a blanket ban.
    - its more secure to meet someone and ensure that they are happy with the goods. Then there's no possibility of what has been described above where goods that were 100% when you sent them are suddenly lemons.
    - I would rather meet the buyer to make sure they're not dodgy.

I do buy stuff by post but I usually try to collect unless the seller isn't prepared to do that. Guess what though - I don't turn into a moany sod if they say that they don't want to meet - its their right after all.

I will usually go out of my way to deliver stuff I'm selling to people, but it also depends on the buyer and my own schedule - after all the sale is an agreement between both parties so both can dictate their own terms and good old offer/acceptance contract law applies.

In short if you don't like gun-like objects not being sent through the post, don't make an offer.

And for the same reason I don't order from overseas ... I
    always go through Irish stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I often post and receive items through post, if sent registered then there is no issue. I think a lot of people are A. a bit lazy and if they live in Dub then they know if they hold out a little longer 99% of the time some one close is able to collect which is always preferable - and B. their afraid the receiver wont like it and then it gets messy.

For me if Im buying something here via post I accept that Im buying something I havent seen in the metal and if I dont like it thats my own fault if its as described. If there is something major that was left out of the description then fair nuff I might contact the seller. This week I received a pistol which was as described but when I got it I simply didnt like it, thats not the sellers fault, after all I bought something I never even held. I simply sold the item on and took a hit on the money side.

I think folks selling should state in their advert if your buying via post the item will be as described and if so... no returns. Its how I accept any posted purchase.

Then , as it was said here... its up to the seller to decide how they want to sell their goods. If they dont wanna post then they dont have to, if they are fortunate enough to live in the capital there are plenty of buyers who can collect but if your not living there then we just have to suck it up. Personally I will suck it up and miss the odd item but still enjoy living in Ireland rather than the western UK :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Not really arsed posting to be honest, and I like to make sure the person buying is happy before they part with their cash.

And if someone really wants something, they will come get it. I'm just not into posting : /

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

Yes I get it people don’t like to post that I understand because it is a hassle you have to wrap it and then worst of all get to the Post Office which for me is to go to the next county most of the time and I don’t like it either
    But I think it is the least I can do to help my fellow softer and yes it helps me sell stuff also

But I think a lot of you missed my second point about people saying I CANT or in other words they don’t have the guts to say I WONT
    I have felt this way for a while now and was prompted the other day to start this thread because I saw a post where a poster said I CANT post but was willing to meet up many miles away from his/her home
    Now here is the good bit tonight I saw the same I CANT poster place a wanted add and one of the conditions was, yes you guessed it “seller must be able to post” now this I see as double standards
    Surly if you wish to have someone post stuff to you then you should be willing to do like wise

As I also said maybe some of the people here maybe CANNOT post as they are suffering from some form of Illness/Disability and genuinely cannot get to the post office or due to work cannot get to a post office during opening hours or work shift as I have done myself and if so then let me apologise to them here and now
    But even those on shift get the odd day off and yes maybe they just want to sleep and I also know this feeling all too well myself

So let me close by saying if you can post then please do so as not all of the airsoft community live in the greater Dublin area and if you still don’t want to post then for god sake have the Balls to say so and not hide behind I CANT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Posting takes more time and effort and usually involves fúckin' paypal. I despise paypal and post offices, and not knowing who I'm sending the stuff to, is.

I won't post because above all else, I'm not arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

DeBurca wrote: »
    So let me close by saying if you can post then please do so as not all of the airsoft community live in the greater Dublin area and if you still don’t want to post then for god sake have the Balls to say so and not hide behind I CANT
    Considering the reasons I gave above for not posting, it's academic whether I put can't or won't. You could argue it's "I won't" but in my mind it's "I can't" (as I am not going to take time off work to go to a post office).

Yes I get it people don’t like to post that I understand because it is a hassle you have to wrap it and then worst of all get to the Post Office which for me is to go to the next county most of the time and I don’t like it either
    But I think it is the least I can do to help my fellow softer and yes it helps me sell stuff also

But I think a lot of you missed my second point about people saying I CANT or in other words they don’t have the guts to say I WONT
    I have felt this way for a while now and was prompted the other day to start this thread because I saw a post where a poster said I CANT post but was willing to meet up many miles away from his/her home
    Now here is the good bit tonight I saw the same I CANT poster place a wanted add and one of the conditions was, yes you guessed it “seller must be able to post” now this I see as double standards
    Surly if you wish to have someone post stuff to you then you should be willing to do like wise

As I also said maybe some of the people here maybe CANNOT post as they are suffering from some form of Illness/Disability and genuinely cannot get to the post office or due to work cannot get to a post office during opening hours or work shift as I have done myself and if so then let me apologise to them here and now
    But even those on shift get the odd day off and yes maybe they just want to sleep and I also know this feeling all too well myself

Sure just ban them like.

Jesus don't give him that idea. There will be no one left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Arkslippy

He should just move closer to civilisation.

Jesus don't give him that idea. There will be no one left.

Why mess with a winning strategy? :-)

It's not an auctioning site

Sellers should be left with the choice, at the end of the day they are essentially the ones with the product/item people want.

If someone wants an item, they will go get it, simples.

And the more responsible sellers like to make sure they are not selling to kids or windowlickers.

If it is something you really want you can always travel to get it. I recently traveled from Dublin to Cork to complete a deal.
    A lot of people on here know each other. But a lot don't. I wouldn't trust most users to be completely honest. There are a few members who have been around a while I know for a fact are trustworthy but newer people I wouldn't risk it.

This thread is pathetic to be honest. OP is basically saying ''Why won't the seller make life easier for me?''

My only suggestion would to move out of the shticks and into a population hub. As long as this forum is running some people will refuse to post. And more power to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

Semantics.

It amounts to the same thing. I fail to see why/how you're getting so worked up over this, but fair enough.

For the record - I always say "won't". And I jump at loud noises. I am sure there are some more courageous sorts than me out there who will say "can't", so what this exercise in word play really says or matters is sort of academic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭Raccoon City Development Labs

i have no problem with posting smallish items, really whatever i am selling that isnt a rifle or pistol, id much rather meet up with the person so i know there satisfied with the gun, this thread was not a needed, why would you mind if people didnt want to post? its up to the person and not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

If a seller wont post, they wont post. Take your wallet elsewhere. By all means ask them if they'll consider location 'x' or whatever but if they want to curtail their own chances of a sale then that's their business, as frustrating as it may be to you.

Make your offer, and leave them to decide.

Lemming wrote: »
    If a seller wont post, they wont post. Take your wallet elsewhere. By all means ask them if they'll consider location 'x' or whatever but if they want to curtail their own chances of a sale then that's their business, as frustrating as it may be to you.

Make your offer, and leave them to decide.

hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg

Advertisement