Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Pet Boarding

Options
  • 13-07-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Would anyone use a place to board their rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters etc when they go away? I'm thinking of starting a boarding business for small animals, would just like to know if it would be worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There are more and more people looking to board small animals, it might depend on your location the Dublin area probably and other places with a higher population will have more buisness.

The important thing to do first is ensure you have an indoor area for them, the proper cages and secure enclosures outside for any running around in the day for rabbits or guinea pigs. With the weather the way it is it's a lost easier all round to have a room in the house set up or an insulated shed ..if using in winter you would have to have heating because not all animals that board live outside so you have to adjust the housing to what the animal is used to at their own home.

You won't make a fortune out of it eventually over time and if your reputation grows and you offer a good service then you will start making money out of it but it will take a long time to build up the buisness.

Only do it also if you have an very experienced small animal vet in your area that offers 24/7 service and if you have transport to get there in an emergency.

It can be fun and rewarding but it does take time to build it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 floradog

Thanks! I have the set-up ready to go, so I'll see if there's any interest! fingers crossed!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

Hi, where abouts are you based? Photo's of your set up or a website with info and pics would probably help get people interested. I agree with Sigma Force, I can't imagine it'll make a huge profit but I'm sure there are people out there who'd me happy to have a place to leave their small pets when they're away. I'm always on the look out for somewhere that I could be happy leaving my ferrets when I'm on holidays but there are very few boarding places that deal with or have much experience with them!

Advertisement