Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bog oak blanks?

Options
  • 13-07-2012 3:45pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys-

I'm looking for some bog oak blanks for a friend in the U.S who is interested in using them to make handles for a pocket knife (or something along those lines).

I tried here a while back to source a company that might be able to help him out, but no luck.

Can anyone advise me? I could pick-up anywhere in the Dublin region, or via post is grand too.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

What sort of size are you looking for. Is the pocket knife, a bowie knife maybe:D

Its nigh on impossible to get good quality bog oak in any decent size. But I,d say you may be lucky, as its fairly small pieces you are looking for.

I might have something, so give me some idea of dimensions, and I,ll check.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Bummer, haven't been on this in a while. I had a large dry slab of it that I cut up pen blanks from for penturning mates in the U.S. I may have more, I'll check. I have some nice elm burr, yew burr and bog oak burr also. I have a lot of bog yew too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Thanks guys, any lead on this would be great.

I gather that he is talking about using the bog oak for the handles on a knife that he wants to give to someone as a retirement gift or something along those lines. While I can't be sure, I'm not envisaging anything outsized or really huge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I may have more, I'll check. I have some nice elm burr, yew burr and bog oak burr also. I have a lot of bog yew too.

I'll double check, must admit I'm not too sure what those are but perhaps they'd suit his purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Scales for knives are around 1/2" thick or less, 5-6" long and 2" wide. These are the two pieces of wood that cover both sides of the handle. They are shaped to the same profile as the handle.
    BootKnife2.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement