Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business trip to Limerick

Options
  • 13-07-2012 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all,

I am part of a UK discussion group that meet on an annual basis throughout the UK. Have meetings onsite then retreat to a nice part of the town/city for hotel and meal all paid for by the companies. We have stayed in some old traditional pubs, top class restaurants etc. About 10/15 people so its worth a fair bit to the chosen place for 1/2 days.

However, i have asked this group do they want to come to Limerick (where im based) for next meeting hopefully November 2012. I was surprised but delighted with reaction as they want to have the meeting Thursday/Friday so they can take Monday off and spend the 5 days in Ireland and bring the kids etc with them!! Didn't realise we still had that much of a draw on people to come to Ireland but there you go.

As they will be with me for the first night i want to put Limerick in a good light (even though im not a Limerick Man) and show off what we have to offer.

Anyone be able to suggest some good hotels & restaurants that maybe close together for a reasonable price? Not confined to Limerick City either, in the past we have maybe done a 20min drive to the outskirts to find someplace nice. (maybe nice B&B with restaurant for evening meals)

If anyone wants to throw up a good itinerary for these guys for the 5+ days it might also be useful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I recommend the Locke Bar — my favourite pub in Limerick — for a good evening's wining and dining. They have areas they can rope off as function rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Cornstore for a meal imo
    Curraghower/Locke or dolans Bar for lunch/pints/music

Strand or Savoy are close enough to all of those for Hotels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

While they are here.

Cliffs of Moher
    Ailwee Caves
    Bunratty Castle and Folk park as a day visit, or could take a group to the banquet in the evening.
    King Johns Castle.
    Hunt Museum ( Kids should like it )
    Boat trip on Lough derg Killaloe Ballina :-) , with a lunch in Goosers, Mollys or Flannagans. Or further up the lake from Mountshannon out to holy Island.
    For the more adventurous, one of the rib boat trips on the river, in the city.
    Golf - loads of choice.
    Rugby - if the dates match.
    If any of them are into walking/hiking, loads of choice.

And the Milk market for some breakfast/brunch/lunch and some fresh produce.
    My current favourite there is either the roast pork or the breakfast ciabatta with the caramilised onions.

What sort of activities do you normally do, and what standard of accomodation and restaurants would be normal for these trips?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 lemon125

Some good suggestions there. I had promised them that value had improved greatly in hotels/restaurants since the down turn, at the minute the prices in the Strand and Savoy are keen.

Usually we just fly in, meeting, night out with meal, fly home as they are mostly UK guys they don't stay too long. I did a bit of touring castles etc on my own the last two times. Standard was mid range i suppose, the area was really nice but the room was £80 a night for an average B&B, the restaurant was packed mid week so it has all the awards but again i think the standard/quality of food is much higher in Limerick.
    So thats why it kinda threw me when these 12 lads all collectively picked the dates to suit a small holiday in Ireland. I will suggest to those that hire cars to head up to Galway/Mayo or down to Kerry/Cork but hope to get them to spend at least a day or two around Limerick. Would love it it clashed with a Munster match but i will have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Punchs hotel usually have great rates and the food is very good there also. Close enough to the city centre also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Daidy2011

I recently stayed in the Bunratty Manor Hotel and could nor recommend it highly enough.

Small, quaint and cozy but most importantly of all the food was absolutely superb. They have a main dining room but they also have a private room that seats about 24 people which sound ideal for what you are looking for.

Check it out, even if it only for the dinner, you won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

+1 for Bunratty Manor
    & Bunratty is a nice village to stay in for the weekend, close to the Airport & Limerick and if those brining their kids prefer they can stay in the Clare Inn who have a wonderful kids club set up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Savoy is the only 5 star in the City, and yes prices are keen. The Strand has fantastic river views though.

For the family time you could arrange Unigolf, they'd do a deal for 15 families no bother!!

Clare Glens

You could do worse than to arrange a bus and driver for them for the 5 days and let them work out with the driver where they should go. Of course the Crescent is a must.

Advertisement