Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stock ratio of red and white wine?

Options
  • 13-07-2012 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭

I was wondering is there an industry standard of the ratio of red and white wine that wine shops stock?. I've been wondering this for a while after seeing in one particular place white being the most stocked wine by a considerable margin.
    If i had to guess i would say most wine shops stock 75% Red and 25%white(incl rose). Maybe 60/40 at a push but always its red with the bigger % stocked.
    Except for a local dunnes stores offlicence bucking the trend who i would say stock 20% red wine and 80% white!. Now im not much of a white wine drinker at all which is probably why this turnaround has surprised me so much. Im wondering does demographics and other factors come into play when a store stocks different amounts of red v white?.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Im wondering does demographics and other factors come into play when a store stocks different amounts of red v white?.
    I would say climate and drinking cultures would be 2. I have heard anecdotally people get worse hangovers from red, so 'session drinkers' might prefer white for this reason, and as its chilled, like the beer they may be sort of replacing -and I have heard some say white is more quaffable.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

60 - 40 white to red
    for the only reason that women drink more white while men would go for beer ;)

Advertisement