Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excise and Vat on bathtub from China

Options
  • 12-07-2012 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a bathtub and importing from China. How much would the excise be on that roughly? Also would the Vat be 23%??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hello liamolaighin,

The import duty would depend on the material the bath tub is made of. If you post again with the material of the bath tub I will have a look and confirm the rate of duty for you. The VAT would be 23%.

Duty is calculated over the cost of the product plus the freight cost and transport insurance cost.

The VAT is calculated over the aforementioned plus the duty

NB : I would be very careful if you leave the shipping arrangements to your supplier. There are many examples of importers in Ireland that were stung by the agent on arrival of the goods for extremely high "arrival costs". Essentially Chinese shippers get the freight for nothing or near nothing. The Chinese agent instructs his Irish counterpart to collect a socalled : China Import Service Fee" to which the agent on this side add his pound (more like a cwt) of flesh. For reference search my posts on boards.ie

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement