Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do i know this song from???

Options
  • 12-07-2012 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I need help figuring out where i have heard this song! :confused:
    I don't know whether it was from an anime series/movie i had watched or even a Japanese movie.
    The song is called "Merry Christmas Mr Larence" by Ryuichi Sakamoto. Now I know it was in a Movie of the same name in the 80s which I have NOT seen.

Anyone know of anything else it may be featured in?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I only know it from the film "Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merry_Christmas,_Mr._Lawrence

PS.. wrong forum btw

There was a dance version of this song done in the early 90's. Did very well in the charts. Maybe that is what you remember. Watergate: Heart of Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

It's also reported to have influenced a piece of music written by Rob Hubbard for a game in 1986 called "International Karate".

I played this game back in the day long before hearing the Mr. Lawrence music and as a result when I eventually heard the tune itself it felt very familiar to me. (the bit at around 0:55 in the above video is practically identical to Lawrence for example).

(interestingly the games US distributor was sued for copyright infringement from another games company of the time so it seemed copying (being influenced by) a bit of music from a 5 year old movie soundtrack was in keeping with the rest of the venture).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

It was the opening theme of the TV series "Japão - Uma Viagem no Tempo"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0356269/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's also known as Forbidden Colours: with lyrics by David Sylvian:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Pretty sure it has been used in a few ads over the past few years too.

HSBC is coming to my mind for some reason.

Advertisement