Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which job do i accept?!

• 12-07-2012 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I've been offered 2 jobs in the last week. The first one I was offered is 3 hours from home so i would have to move. At first i was told it was only 11 hours job share. I wasn't too pleased because that's not much and no hope for future really!

The second one I was offered is only an hour away from home, its still only 15 hours but its fixed term for a year and it's replacing a retired teacher. Automatically i thought...accept the second one. More prospects.

When i rang the principal from the first school she said now they would be able to offer me some RPT hours (not really sure what they are!) that would add up to a6 or more hours in total. Now im confused! I'm still thinking the second job because it has better future prospects

HELP!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

broly wrote: »
    I've been offered 2 jobs in the last week. The first one I was offered is 3 hours from home so i would have to move. At first i was told it was only 11 hours job share. I wasn't too pleased because that's not much and no hope for future really!

The second one I was offered is only an hour away from home, its still only 15 hours but its fixed term for a year and it's replacing a retired teacher. Automatically i thought...accept the second one. More prospects.

When i rang the principal from the first school she said now they would be able to offer me some RPT hours (not really sure what they are!) that would add up to a6 or more hours in total. Now im confused! I'm still thinking the second job because it has better future prospects

HELP!

Rpt hours are part time and are only paid when worked so no pay for these over Christmas hols etc. While you will earn more money in job 1 the hours are not your own and may evaporate through the year by the same token they may increase.

The first job is job share and may not exist next year. While the second job is fixed term it may or may not exist - for you - next year. But might seem like a more promising contract.

Would all of the rpt hours wages be spent on rent? Do you want to move? These are bigger questions only you can answer....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Sounds like a no brainer to me. Take the second one.
    The extra money (if it even works out at extra) isn't going to balance out the disadvantages of the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

bdoo wrote: »
    Rpt hours are part time and are only paid when worked so no pay for these over Christmas hols etc. While you will earn more money in job 1 the hours are not your own and may evaporate through the year by the same token they may increase.

That's not correct. RPT hours are contracted hours and would belong to the OP. They would be paid for the entire year including the holidays just like the job share hours would.

http://www.asti.ie/asti-membership/new-to-teaching/hours-contracts-and-salary-explained/

A regular part time (RPT) teacher is appointed where the need for part-time hours is viable for at least a year.

A regular part time (RPT) teacher is employed and paid for 12 months (September to August), and is paid at an hourly rate that is calculated by dividing the relevant salary scale point rate plus allowances by 735.

As for the choice OP, I don't know. There's the extra expense of living away from home and the chance that the job share person will want to come back on full hours at some point in the future. There's also the chance that taking the job might lead to extra hours the following year, but that's not a definite and cuts just keep coming at second level.

The second job isn't any better in that respect as it's fixed term which suggests that the teacher needs to be replaced for the year because particular subjects need to be taught and the school have been granted concessionary hours to fulfill curricular need, but as you say it's closer to home, so within commuting distance and a similar number of hours.

Hard to choose between the two. The one closer to home is probably the better option for you overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Are both positions in voluntary secondary schools or VEC schools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Good point. If its a VEC and one that you'd like to work in then the job with the Rpt hours is definitely better as they can carry to another VEC school in the same region as the first year of a CID

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Hi. Well I've accepted a position in a school which is composed of a mix of 11 hrs jobshare and the balance my own rpt. The Principal is adamant that he's simple spreading out his jobshares - he has a number of them - and that by the time I reach my CID year, he will have them off my timetable in order to give me a proper CID.

The point is that I will be the only fully qualified person with my subject combination on the staff so he's basically saying that I shouldn't worry about the makeup of my hours because they need me there. Open to comments.

linguist wrote: »
    Hi. Well I've accepted a position in a school which is composed of a mix of 11 hrs jobshare and the balance my own rpt. The Principal is adamant that he's simple spreading out his jobshares - he has a number of them - and that by the time I reach my CID year, he will have them off my timetable in order to give me a proper CID.

The point is that I will be the only fully qualified person with my subject combination on the staff so he's basically saying that I shouldn't worry about the makeup of my hours because they need me there. Open to comments.

He could be trying to keep you sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

I do realise that bdoo - fully! You'll appreciate that I don't want to say too much as you never know who's reading but my main subject is absolutely core in the school and in the curriculum generally so the fact that they don't have a fully qualified teacher of it on the staff makes me feel it's worth doing. I realise what you're saying though.

linguist wrote: »
    I do realise that bdoo - fully! You'll appreciate that I don't want to say too much as you never know who's reading but my main subject is absolutely core in the school and in the curriculum generally so the fact that they don't have a fully qualified teacher of it on the staff makes me feel it's worth doing. I realise what you're saying though.

Well whatever happens you're working now and getting experience. That will stand to you whatever the outcome.

I would try to get my rpt hours to increase gradually if you could ot would give you more peace of mind.

Advertisement