Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Players That Don't Use Aim Assist

Options
  • 12-07-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Anyone else get really angry when you've been killed by a player that is using Aim Assist at its best?

E.g. Going prone on Grand Bazaar in the room with the alley beside the B flag and an enemy comes around the corner with his gun aimed straight at the doorway and still manages to kill you, I mean like when he came around the corner I was looking straight at his boots (literally inches away) and he still managed to slaughter me.

I for one would really like an Aim Assist filter in the Server Browser.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I seem to be using it. Wasn't sure if I was or wasn't until I checked last night. What are the benefits of turning it off? In the sense that, do the guys with aim assist have a massive advantage? Becuase if they do, I'm not arsed turning it off to be some kind of martyr.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

Check out BF3 Aim Assist videos on youtube, its clear from them that aim assist literally points your cross-hairs straight at an enemy and ASSISTS you with the kill.

Basically, the engine helps you with aiming at enemies but there are also disadvantages like when you are shooting at an enemy and another one runs past your cross-hairs, it will follow the enemy that just ran past you.

Turn it off and you're left with your own aiming skill and no funny auto aiming when enemies are running by.

I've only turned it off for a few weeks now so it does take practice when aiming and firing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

In your opinion, honestly, which is the best? Is it like the guys who play manual controls on FIFA and they get ruined by guys who play with assisted controls?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

It's there to help out console players as a controller is a lot less accurate than a mouse. I don't see why someone would turn it off until than to feel self righteous.

Personally, I prefer having Aim Assist turned off because I know that I'm in full control of my aiming and its only every so often that I notice a kill that was definitely assisted by the computer.

There is way more satisfaction in a kill when its turned off but again in my honest opinion its virtually impossible to do well in Close Quarters when its turned off due to its frantic pace. Some of my friends turned it back on because they couldn't handle all the suppression kill assists/deaths they were receiving with it turned off.

• Advertisement

Keno 92 wrote: »
    It's there to help out console players as a controller is a lot less accurate than a mouse. I don't see why someone would turn it off until than to feel self righteous.

I agree that the precision with a controller does not match the mouse/keyboard but lets face it, if you need the computer to assist with your aiming then your obviously rubbish at aiming and firing i.e. NOOB

Well you are at an automatic disadvantage from the get go. All FPS games on consoles employs the aim assist to try and compete with the accuracy of the mouse and keyboard. I would hazard a guess that the vast majority have it turned on (combination of this being a conscious decision and users not knowing about this feature).

I personally don't see the appeal of giving myself a handicap when the majority of the enemies I encounter will not do the same.

I experienced too many problems with Aim Assist recently especially in Close Quarters & Tighter maps like Conquest on Metro/Seine/Bazaar when enemies are running past my cross hairs. That is why I turned it off. With a bit of practice I've gotten much much better with my aiming.

Well I would think you could be the most accurate player in the world with aim assist off and still be beat by a half decent player with it turned on.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Well I would think you could be the most accurate player in the world with aim assist off and still be beat by a half decent player with it turned on.

I agree hence why I'd like a filter on the server browser for servers that have it turned off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I agree that the precision with a controller does not match the mouse/keyboard but lets face it, if you need the computer to assist with your aiming then your obviously rubbish at aiming and firing i.e. NOOB

Sometimes I use aim assist. It all depends on the day. I'm pretty sick most of the time, one of the things I get to put up with is a constant fine shaking in my hands. Somedays it can be pretty bad so I'll use aim assist to help me out (I'll also need to use a dictator to do any typing, just to give you an idea as to how bad it can get). I'm sure a good few people who are in perfect health use it but a lot of people tend to bitch and moan about assist/accessibility functions in games without quite catching the fact that a small percentage of players will be very grateful for them or else they couldn't play at all.

I generally dislike aim assist though as it goes center mass...I prefer nice clean headshots.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 PogueMahone365

E.g. Going prone on Grand Bazaar in the room with the alley beside the B flag and an enemy comes around the corner with his gun aimed straight at the doorway and still manages to kill you, I mean like when he came around the corner I was looking straight at his boots (literally inches away) and he still managed to slaughter me.[/QUOTE]

This happens to me quite a bit, but I thought it was due to a laggy connection, i.e. I thought he had time to run into the room and aim before he even showed up on my screen.

I've never used the Aim-Assist option so I don't even know if it's on or off, and I won't be home for the next few days so I can't check.
    Is it turned on or off by default? I know I had it in the SP campaign. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

They should add keyboard and mouse support for both consoles, they have the usb ports or blue tooth capability. unreal tournament had it, i remember my kd ratio sky rocketing when i switched.

Sometimes I use aim assist. It all depends on the day. I'm pretty sick most of the time, one of the things I get to put up with is a constant fine shaking in my hands. Somedays it can be pretty bad so I'll use aim assist to help me out (I'll also need to use a dictator to do any typing, just to give you an idea as to how bad it can get). I'm sure a good few people who are in perfect health use it but a lot of people tend to bitch and moan about assist/accessibility functions in games without quite catching the fact that a small percentage of players will be very grateful for them or else they couldn't play at all.

I generally dislike aim assist though as it goes center mass...I prefer nice clean headshots.

Thats a fair point dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

To my surprise i discovered that i play with it on. Either it doesnt work or i am unconsioulsy contiunally fighting it against it with my own adjustments because it feels and behaves like i'm playing with it off

How does it work? do you just line the cross hairs up in the general vicintiy of an enemy and then stop moving the thumb stick and it will auto track the enemy? How does it work with aiming over long distances and projectile drop?

I think i'm going to have to turn it off to see if i improve...
    They should add keyboard and mouse support for both consoles, they have the usb ports or blue tooth capability. unreal tournament had it, i remember my kd ratio sky rocketing when i switched.

I've played a few games where i've been convinced that some of the other players are using something like the XIM3 because their reaction time and turn speed have been unbeleivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I never really took any notice until they said they were going to boost it for close quarters, I was going for my REX service star and I did seem to be landing alot more shots at very close range which was fine by me, I need all the advantages I can get :pac:
    I can see how people would milk it but I don't think it allows for quickscoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,488 ✭✭✭✭klose

Anyone else get really angry when you've been killed by a player that is using Aim Assist at its best?

E.g. Going prone on Grand Bazaar in the room with the alley beside the B flag and an enemy comes around the corner with his gun aimed straight at the doorway and still manages to kill you, I mean like when he came around the corner I was looking straight at his boots (literally inches away) and he still managed to slaughter me.

I for one would really like an Aim Assist filter in the Server Browser.

Anyone else?

I rarely go prone, very easy to get a headshot/be headshot-ed? while prone. Anyways i have it turned off, I strangely find it easier I felt like I was kind of battling against the aim assist to get on target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

after reading this thread i decided to try turning aim assist off, and i have to say i way prefer it off. Far more headshots since i made the change!

after reading this thread i decided to try turning aim assist off, and i have to say i way prefer it off. Far more headshots since i made the change!

Fair play by

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Damn never knew about aim assist .
    I've just checked and its off . i always wondered how some people were killing me.
    I'm off to switch it on for a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement