Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to reading books... suggestions... ?

Options
  • 12-07-2012 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

So, last week I got my hands on the hunger games trilogy, finished the first two... going to get through the last one in the next few days...

Really really enjoyed it, never was big into reading, but I could see myself reading a bit more if I could find something that would grip me the way this has...

A friend reads a lot of the Karen Slaughter and some Patterson lad, but I couldn't see myself getting into the crime / mystery stuff...

So, I'm hoping for some suggestions from people on where to go next... :pac:

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

What about the books did you like? If there was a particular thing that you liked, we could recommend similar types of books.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

What about the books did you like? If there was a particular thing that you liked, we could recommend similar types of books.

It was an easy read, I guess I liked the whole adventure thing of it... and I found it very hard to put the book down wondering what would happen next :p

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Maybe the trilogy His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman:
    Northern Lights
    Subtle Knife
    Amber Spyglass

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Sync wrote: »
    So, last week I got my hands on the hunger games trilogy, finished the first two... going to get through the last one in the next few days...

Really really enjoyed it, never was big into reading, but I could see myself reading a bit more if I could find something that would grip me the way this has...

A friend reads a lot of the Karen Slaughter and some Patterson lad, but I couldn't see myself getting into the crime / mystery stuff...

So, I'm hoping for some suggestions from people on where to go next... :pac:

Thanks! :)

Give some of the stephen king books a go. The Stand is epic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭nompere

Here's a link to the 1st book of the Hunger Games trilogy on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hunger-Games-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B005EGXTEE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342186105&sr=8-2

Just down the page you'll see links to about 100 books that other people who have read the Hunger Games have also read. Almost all of those books has a "Look Inside" link, that will let you read, free of charge, up to 50 or so pages of the book.

Try some of them at random; read the blurb; read a chapter or two. Probably one or two will appeal to you - it might be the way it's written, or the story just grabs you. Try the various recommendations on this thread as well. They're all on Amazon, and most will have a "Look Inside" link.

Then be brave, and go out and buy a book. Reading is such a personal thing that usually the only person who knows whether you'll like a book is you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

Have a look at "The Dresden Files", by Jim Butcher. Combines swashbuckling, magic, and gunplay with detective pulp fiction. Lots and lots of fun.

"Battle Royale" is something very similar to the "Hunger Games". Should not be difficult to find an English translation, as it's rather older. VERY violent, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

Thanks for all the info lads/lasses.

Might give Battle Royale a go, also His Dark Materials sounds interesting! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Sync wrote: »
    Thanks for all the info lads/lasses.

Might give Battle Royale a go, also His Dark Materials sounds interesting! :)

Yeah, I was going to suggest this, and definitely would given what you liked about the Hunger Games. The first book in particular is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

2nd Battle Royale, great book.
    Also if you like "unputdownalbe" books, I would recommend:
    Johnatan Strange and Mr. Norrel, its a big book, but don't be put off by that, you would fly through it.
    Also Neil Gaimen: American gods, Neverwhere Anasi boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

His Dark Materials are excellent - well worth looking at.

• Advertisement
Advertisement