Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's best medal hope in the olympics this summer?

Options
  • 11-07-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question to people who would be in the know, that besides Katie, who else are our big hopes of getting on the podium? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jurahnimoh

After katie i wouldn't get too excited

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

I think John Joe Nevin has the best shot, but its a tough call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Darren O Neil is quite highly regarded, is he not?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Besides Katie, I cant think of anyone.

Hope to God she wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭T.C.O.B

Any of the boxers has a decent chance of medaling, getting to the Oylimpics is the hard bit, with a good draw, you don't need to win many fight to medal.

After that, the sailors could pull one out on the day, while our female triathlete Aileen Morrison is top 10 potential and on a good day could medal.

On the track our only (slight) hope would probably be Deirdre Ryan in the High Jump. It's a very competitive discipline so she'd need to jump well and hope others are of form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

T.C.O.B wrote: »
    Any of the boxers has a decent chance of medaling, getting to the Oylimpics is the hard bit, with a good draw, you don't need to win many fight to medal.

After that, the sailors could pull one out on the day, while our female triathlete Aileen Morrison is top 10 potential and on a good day could medal.

On the track our only (slight) hope would probably be Deirdre Ryan in the High Jump. It's a very competitive discipline so she'd need to jump well and hope others are of form.

Deidre Ryan won't medal, hasn't jumped more than 1.90m this year, making the final again would be a good acheivement. Walkers probably best shout of medalling in athletics.

I think, Katie aside, Conlan and Nevin with a bit of luck have good chances for a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

gutted Joe Ward isn't going, there would be some hype around him if he managed to qualify :(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭The Prodigy 2

Michael Conlon

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭c1979

Paddy B. and Darren O'Neill would me favourites but if the rest get a bit of luck in the draw you never know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

I never understand how when people discuss Irish amateur boxing, John Joe Nevin's name is usually only as an afterthought.

The guy is ALWAYS Ireland's best medal hope!!

He has got bronze in the last two World Championships. lost one semi on countback the other by one point and I honestly thought he should have got the one he lost by a point.

I know he suffered a broken jaw earlier in the year, which is obviously going to have hampered his preparation, but I really believe in this guy.

Definitely our best medal hope - outside of Katie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,715 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I agree with Nevin, mega. I still want to see him throw the kitchen sink in a fight and go and win win win. Not saying he should become reckless, but too many times in big fights I saw him stay at the one pace and in the same gear, when there was one rd left, one minute left, and the scores were razor close. What have you got to lose, John? At least if you do lose you can say you threw everything at it to win.

Nevin reminds me of Murray in the tennis. Seems content with the opponent losing as opposed to him winning a point. I want Nevin more like Nadal and Novak; to go and win win win the points, not hope the foe loses the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭duagre

Entirely dependent on the draw. Any of these guys are capable of reaching the medal stages with a kind draw. Barnes and Nevin have proven it at the highest level though, so they would be my picks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

No consensus here, anyway, some saying Conlon, some O Neil, some Barnes and more than a few Nevin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

walshb wrote: »
    I agree with Nevin, mega. I still want to see him throw the kitchen sink in a fight and go and win win win. Not saying he should become reckless, but too many times in big fights I saw him stay at the one pace and in the same gear, when there was one rd left, one minute left, and the scores were razor close. What have you got to lose, John? At least if you do lose you can say you threw everything at it to win.

Nevin reminds me of Murray in the tennis. Seems content with the opponent losing as opposed to him winning a point. I want Nevin more like Nadal and Novak; to go and win win win the points, not hope the foe loses the point!

You're absolutely right, but what's strange is when he fights in the WSB that's exactly what he goes and does. He displays a perfect blend of counter-punching and come forward aggression that isn't shown in his normal amateur fights. Many criticised his potential for the professional game based on his amateur fights, but I think his WSB performances have shown he has got the ability to be a top pro should he look to turn over post Olympics.

But all that's for the future, back to the amateur game and for me he's our best medal prospect outside of Katie Taylor. At his best there is no one at his weight that Nevin isn't capable of beating, and he rarely loses to nothing fighters either, most of his losses are close defeats to quality fighters. He'll be there or there abouts for a medal in London. But as many of the lads have said, the draw will have a big imprint on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JoesephStalin

No one thinks Adam Nolan has a chance of a medal ? He's so tall at the weight and very quick and accurate...great chance to make the semis/final if he gets a decent draw

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sport for Business 2012

There's a lot of pressure on the boxing team who are credited by many as carrying our only hope of medal(s). At their press conference last week it was mentioned that all could be in with a shout and they have done great to get this far but never was their a better time to get them focussed on one round at a time never mind one bout or the prospect of a medal. Paddy Barnes' Olympic experience might put him to the fore but the rankings issue will make it as likely for a tough draw early on.

Advertisement