Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Physics necessary for medicine????

Options
  • 11-07-2012 8:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭

I'm going into Transition Year and for my choices I picked all 3 sciences (instead of economics and music etc etc). Since 2nd year I decided to pick all 3 sciences, history and maybe applied maths for the LC. I want to pick at max 8 subjects (preferably 7) for LC but I want to know how necessary physics is. I heard it's the toughest science subject and I know biology is a must if one wants to pursue a career in medicine and I don't really mind physics but I am much better in the other two. Can someone tell me if physics is needed to get into medicine??? Links will be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Hmmm, I've heard chemistry is tougher. I'm pretty sure it's just biology and chemistry you need though. :) But I think applied maths would be tough enough if you didnt do physics. And history is an enormous course and workload and just an all-round bad subject to do when you have 8 - just my opinion but you might regret doing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Entry requirements for medicine are here: http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2012UGMed Entry.pdf (copy and paste that without the space, boards censors the word Med Entry).

For the 6 year programmes you need one science (can be any of them) and for the 5 year programmes you generally need chemistry and one other science. You don't necessarily need physics, if you have biology and chemistry you will satisfy all entry requirements.

In terms of course content, chemistry and biology are more relevant to medicine, at least in the pre-clinical years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Be very wary of what you like from JC. Chemistry is much, much more difficult than it was at JC, physics is much more interesting. Biology is easy for most, so pick that one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Some UK universities require 3 sciences at Leaving Cert level.
    Cambridge being one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Be very wary of what you like from JC. Chemistry is much, much more difficult than it was at JC, physics is much more interesting. Biology is easy for most, so pick that one.

I'm tryin to keep away from physics because it seems to be very complicated. However, since second year, physics has been my best section (got 52 in both Christmas and Mocks). I am considering to pick it but I think it will be way too hard because it is just maths

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

But you said you want to do applied maths? :pac:
    I had a look at the physics exam papers and it didn't seem to be entirely maths, a few definitions and things like that, and explaining experiments.

You could look into phys/chem but most schools don't offer it. Mine did and anyone in my year who did it said it was really easy, as did any boardsies who did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Nope. You don't need physics! But that doesn't mean you shouldn't pick it. I do biology and physics - I was going to choose Chemistry but chose physics last minute - a decision which I am very glad I made. Physics is so interesting, completely different to JC physics where at times it would be hard to remain awake in class (that may have just been me). All of my friends do Chemistry and they say that Chemistry is very difficult - they like it but compared to the JC, it is very different. One of the good things about physics is that it is such a broad course so there is something for everyone in it! A lot of it is understanding as well, there isn't as much learning in it compared to biology or chemistry. One of my friends is hoping to study medicine and he is doing Physics and Biology, he didn't pick chemistry because he wanted to music as well - so it isn't necessary to study all 3 sciences - picking something like music or art might be a good idea but if you want to pick all 3 sciences then go ahead! :) Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Leinsterr wrote: »
    I'm tryin to keep away from physics because it seems to be very complicated. However, since second year, physics has been my best section (got 52 in both Christmas and Mocks). I am considering to pick it but I think it will be way too hard because it is just maths

Sorry for the double post, but I just saw this now! Physics isn't just maths! There are plenty of definitions - the only really maths problems are the mechanics problems which only has one full question, and then sometimes a part of another. The first section is just experiments so thats pretty much just learning! And the second section is the theory/maths problems - seriously, the maths isn't that bad at all. Especially the atomic physics/particle physics maths - you are always doing the same method! Completely manageable. Having said that though, you do need to work at physics - but that's like any subject! I've gotten A1's in it all year (I'm in 5th year) so for me, it isn't any harder than any of my other subjects. And some of my friends do both subjects (chem and physics) and say the same. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Well if you want to do medicine, Chemistry is the one that you need the most. Even if it's not a requirement (UCD 6 year course don't require it), it's definitely the most beneficial to know. I've heard biology isn't as necessary as you'd think because you'll end up having to relearn everything in much greater detail anyway.

Physics is not really necessary to medicine, but there are sections of neuroscience and the like which require physics. However for the GP, I don't think it's needed. That's not to say you shouldn't do it, medicine is contained in science, so the more science you know the better. Also for points, doing applied maths will make physics easier.

Slightly related, there's a story about when Robert Mills (of Yang-Mills theory fame) was lecturing medical students, teaching them the mechanics of the double pendulum. After the lecture, one of the students went up to him and asked why it was at all relevant that medical students know how a double pendulum worked, and Mills responded "To stop stupid people becoming doctors"

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

If you are good are memorizing pick chemistry. Its also helps if you are good at maths for some of the calculations but its not essential

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

Over the last month I have been researching everything to death and i am just wondering would you be tested on all 3 sciences for the hpath?? I know that you wont be tested on specific topics but I am consideringdoing all 3 sciences plus history to give myself the best chance of succeeding in the hpath. Would it be more beneficial to do applied maths instead of history btw???

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

It's HPat, do what'll get you points after the requirements are filled. It's far easier to study something you enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭KKBL

If you're doing medicine then do physics. The more science subjects you do now, you'll have a better understanding of medicine, you'll be a better medical student. & BTW just do everyone knows, Chemistry is the only essential Science subject at LC level that you need for Medicine. As someone said, you will re-learn all of the LC Biology course again in 1st and 2nd year of Medicine which you will not get a chance to do with Chemistry. If you do not have a good foundation ic Chemistry (HC3 level) then you will find it very difficult to grasp the concepts on your course will probably end up dropping out.
    I'm not talking about pre-meds btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 1245

Leinsterr wrote: »

I am in 5th year and I had to keep on physics because my school had really little choices I LOVEEE IT I AM SO GLAD I DIDI IT it is nothing like junior cert physics its like an amazing subject and its easy cause your given formulas all you do is sub in and the theory is common sense and Ii am really bad at maths but I do well in physics thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

Trinity's Med course makes reference to Physics in its requirements, but if you don't study it you just have to do better than a pass in Maths. "HB3 + HC3 In two of physics, chemistry, biology, physics/chemistry or agricultural science
    If you do not have a qualification in physics you must present mathematics at OC3/HD3 or better".

Honestly, Physics is great for LC. I'm doing all three sciences, and they all have their ups and downs. Biology's lots of rote learning, Physics is a lot of calculations, and Chemistry is a mix of (lots of) theory and calculations. Bio and Chem are a must for Medicine (especially Chem) but Physics is another very nice subject. Applied Maths is a lot harder than Physics and I'd only recommend it if you're very comfortable with Maths (especially Trigonometry).

Advertisement