Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trekkie Experts Needed Please

Options
  • 11-07-2012 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Today, I, for the first time, have delved into the world of Star Trek by watching the new film that was released in 2009. Now, it was probably not the best way to approach the franchise but I wanted to get a taste of Star Trek first. My reaction - EPIC! I have to say that the film was brilliant, although some parts were a bit alien (pun not intended) to me.

Anyway, what I'd like to know now is where I should go from here... Movies, TV Series? Also, could you explain to me when the new film is based in respect to the movies and shows. I heard that its based in another dimension or something but I could be wrong.

And, before I finish, is there any wiki out there that could explain how the physics work in the Star Trek world (re going faster than light speed etc.) as I'd like to read up on that also.

Thanks a mil in advance guys I really appreciate it,
    James.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

I'm no expert just an average fan.

Here's a Star Trek Wiki site:
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

The 2009 movie is an alternate reality because the main bad guy and Spock use time travel altering the past. Some episodes in the TV series use time to allow for more action or character deaths without effecting the actual show, the movie went the same way in order to have an open/new Star Trek.

TV series will depend on taste, if you enjoy older shows then go ahead and start with TOS (The Original Series) but if not then TNG (The Next Generation) then follow with DS9 and Voyager if you enjoyed what you have previously seen.

Most of the TOS (The Original Series) and some of TNG (The Next Generation) movies are good, you should be able to watch them before the series and get the majority of what's going on but would lack some insight on long developed characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I'd start with TNG, it's probably the best series in that it's structured in much the same way as the original series was yet feels more contemporary. Be warned that the first two series contain some pretty bad episodes along with some classics though!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Thanks for the replies guys, you've been a great help! I've also watched the Star Wars saga from start to finish recently (for the first time also!) and I was wondering is the effects etc. for TOS better/worse than the first Star Wars movie (A New Hope). If they're relatively on par with each other, I should be able to bear the lack of special effects ect, as did I when I watched SW.

Thanks again for the help.

At first I would say go with the The Next Generation first, but the Original Series sets the tone extremely well, and after all sets the franchise up.

A few years ago I would have worried about how dated the series looks, but now we have the newly remastered sets on DVD - why not go for those?

DarkDusk wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys, you've been a great help! I've also watched the Star Wars saga from start to finish recently (for the first time also!) and I was wondering is the effects etc. for TOS better/worse than the first Star Wars movie (A New Hope). If they're relatively on par with each other, I should be able to bear the lack of special effects ect, as did I when I watched SW.

Thanks again for the help.

That might depend on which version of A New Hope you watched, the original or the digitally enhanced. The original A New Hope would have had a massive budget compared to original TOS and there was also around 8-10 years between the two which would favor A New Hope on effects.

Like Ronan Of linked to there is the TOS Remastered, it was done in both HD and SD and the differences are very noticeable for the original.

• Advertisement

That might depend on which version of A New Hope you watched, the original or the digitally enhanced. The original A New Hope would have had a massive budget compared to original TOS and there was also around 8-10 years between the two which would favor A New Hope on effects.

Like Ronan Of linked to there is the TOS Remastered, it was done in both HD and SD and the differences are very noticeable for the original.

After checking, I found out that it was the digitally enhanced version that I watched, although I didn't know I was at the time... I might pick up TOS boxset for Xmas and go for a marathon, it's too hard to find them online to watch.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Personally, I would dive into The next Generation and skip the original series. Some of the early TNG eps are very poor but there are some brilliant episodes too and Picard blows kirk out of the water as a character. You will appreciate some of the writing.

You will become familiar with the universe quickly and more importantly familiar with the characters too. The TNG "universe" has the most meat to it as it has seven seasons and four movies so you will have a bigger attachment to the characters in the long run than TOS crew in my opinion. Deep Space nine also begins at halfway through TNG so you can watch them both at the same time which is nice.

Special effects wise, they start off rough but get better as they go. About season 5 or so of TNG they start to pick up a good bit and season 3 or so of DS9. It's not movie quality but its good for a tv show. The CGI in later DS9 fights are excellent as hundreds of ships duke it out in space :)

More importantly, what the hell were you watching as a kid if you never saw star wars or star trek?!?! :p If you are looking for good sci-fi I would recommend Stargate the tv series as it really is excellent too. 10 seasons of that along with two spin offs. Hours and hours of entertainment there.
    I might pick up TOS boxset for Xmas and go for a marathon, it's too hard to find them online to watch.:(

Sign up for netflix. It's 7 euro a month and well worth it. You can try it for free for a month and can quit at any time if you don't like it. You can watch all the shows you want, including star trek. It's legal, it's fast and it streams so you don't have to wait for a download and can watch it on a bad connection.

Personally, I would dive into The next Generation and skip the original series. Some of the early TNG eps are very poor but there are some brilliant episodes too and Picard blows kirk out of the water as a character. You will appreciate some of the writing.

You will become familiar with the universe quickly and more importantly familiar with the characters too. The TNG "universe" has the most meat to it as it has seven seasons and four movies so you will have a bigger attachment to the characters in the long run than TOS crew in my opinion. Deep Space nine also begins at halfway through TNG so you can watch them both at the same time which is nice.

Special effects wise, they start off rough but get better as they go. About season 5 or so of TNG they start to pick up a good bit and season 3 or so of DS9. It's not movie quality but its good for a tv show. The CGI in later DS9 fights are excellent as hundreds of ships duke it out in space :)

Thanks for the info, very informative.
    More importantly, what the hell were you watching as a kid if you never saw star wars or star trek?!?! :p If you are looking for good sci-fi I would recommend Stargate the tv series as it really is excellent too. 10 seasons of that along with two spin offs. Hours and hours of entertainment there.

You see, I'm only 16, and I didn't grow up during the golden age of TV and Film (especially the sci-fi genre), so I only recently got the chance to watch SW and ST. I was also thinking about having a look at Stargat and Battlestar Galactica, which I will definitely watch at some stage. I have to say I absolutely loved the Star Wars saga, and the case should be the same for Star Trek too hopefully.
    Sign up for netflix. It's 7 euro a month and well worth it. You can try it for free for a month and can quit at any time if you don't like it. You can watch all the shows you want, including star trek. It's legal, it's fast and it streams so you don't have to wait for a download and can watch it on a bad connection.

I tried Netflix for the month but the selection was not worth paying for. If it had more newer films that came out recently I would be convinced. I never knew Star Trek was on it (and at the time I wasn't interested in it) so I might change my mind and get it for a month or two just for that!

Thanks again for the advice guys!

I tried Netflix for the month but the selection was not worth paying for. If it had more newer films that came out recently I would be convinced. I never knew Star Trek was on it (and at the time I wasn't interested in it) so I might change my mind and get it for a month or two just for that!
    !

The american version of netflix has a much bigger selection than the european one. If you watch it through an xbox or ps3 it is very, very easy to set it to the american version. Only takes a minute. So thats an option.

If you watch it through your PC its a bit more complicated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

After checking, I found out that it was the digitally enhanced version that I watched, although I didn't know I was at the time... I might pick up TOS boxset for Xmas and go for a marathon, it's too hard to find them online to watch.:(
    I saw the full TNG boxset for €50, real value, might buy it myself to replace damaged discs. I couldn't watch TOS today, they had it on freesat channel CBS Action, don't know if it's still on it. TNG is on the channel but the low bit rate doesn't do it justice. I think TNG would be a better introduction to the Star-Trek world you will learn everything as it goes.

But if your looking more for action Battlestar is definitely the one to go for. The new Star Trek film is the most action filled movie so far from the Star Trek franchise.

• Advertisement

I second that. BSG is the best Sci-fi series of the last decade by a long way. The first series especially is of ridiculously high quality.

Couldn't agree more on BSG, excellent show and Stargate too, you have plenty of good tv ahead of you that's for certain.

Seems like I have a lot to look forward to, I'm so excited! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Would advise you watch Star Trek 2, The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek 6, The Undiscovered Country and Star Trek, First Contact.

They are the best films IMO. Very entertaining. Watch them first. Cause if you tackle the series, you'll know Star Trek can be good. There are rather pedestrian episodes in all series, but episodes as good if not better than the films. When you're watching a slow episode, you should not despair, cause you're an episode closer to a good one.

Would advise you watch Star Trek 2, The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek 6, The Undiscovered Country and Star Trek, First Contact.

They are the best films IMO. Very entertaining. Watch them first. Cause if you tackle the series, you'll know Star Trek can be good. There are rather pedestrian episodes in all series, but episodes as good if not better than the films. When you're watching a slow episode, you should not despair, cause you're an episode closer to a good one.

Thanks for the tips, Pride, I might just do that.

On a side note, could you (or anyone else who sees this, explain to me how the whole franchise works in relation to time (I mean which series/movie is based before what etc.) and how does it work in regards to characters - does the different series (such as DS9 and TOS) have totally different characters? I'm getting the feeling that the series' don't all go in direct oder and that's why I don't have to watch them in order... Sorry if that's a tough question, it's just that all these episodes and movies are a bit overwhelming!

On a side note, could you (or anyone else who sees this, explain to me how the whole franchise works in relation to time (I mean which series/movie is based before what etc.) and how does it work in regards to characters - does the different series (such as DS9 and TOS) have totally different characters? I'm getting the feeling that the series' don't all go in direct oder and that's why I don't have to watch them in order... Sorry if that's a tough question, it's just that all these episodes and movies are a bit overwhelming!

The last series is first in chronological order.Then from TOS it is correct chronological order. The characters are different in all series, but overlap into each other as gues stars. There are 28 seasons of Star Trek through 5 series to get through, but you'll love it :)

Good luck, and if you've any more questions fire away:)

The last series is first in chronological order.Then from TOS it is correct chronological order. The characters are different in all series, but overlap into each other as gues stars. There are 28 seasons of Star Trek through 5 series to get through, but you'll love it :)

Good luck, and if you've any more questions fire away:)

Thanks for the lightening-fast reply, I really appreciate it! That makes it much easier to get my head around it now. I've just got a few more questions if you don't mind. Do the movies go in chronological order (I know the recent one is an exception) and is there a perfect way to watch all the movies/episodes? What I mean by that is the way you would watch Star Wars for the first time (IV-VI and I-III), which by far imo is the best way, is this the case with ST?

Thanks again.

EDIT:
    Oh, and about BSG, are people referring to the 2004 series, with 4 seasons?

Thanks for the lightening-fast reply, I really appreciate it! That makes it much easier to get my head around it now. I've just got a few more questions if you don't mind. Do the movies go in chronological order (I know the recent one is an exception) and is there a perfect way to watch all the movies/episodes? What I mean by that is the way you would watch Star Wars for the first time (IV-VI and I-III), which by far imo is the best way, is this the case with ST?

Thanks again.

EDIT:
    Oh, and about BSG, are people referring to the 2004 series, with 4 seasons?

In terms of the Star Trek films, 1-6 have the original series crew. 2,3 and 4 are a miniature arc and are all connected. 1,5 and 6 are stand alone. You can watch them in order, but I feel that 1 and 5 can be skipped cause they are rather dull IMO. 7-10 are the next generation crew. The 8th one being the best. The films do go in chronological order, except for the new release.

I'd say people are referring to the recent Battlestar series. The 70's and 80's one is good too, but in a 70's camp sci-fi way. The recent one is very gritty and its arced storyline means you will not watch one episode at a time, you'll want to watch 4 or 5.

Pride, you've been a great help, thanks a mil.

Just to update, I've started watching BSG, and I have to say it's awesome. A few episodes in atm, when
    Starbuck arrives back driving the Cylon raider - that was just an epic moment for me!

I can't believe that for most of my life I thought I wouldn't enjoy Science Fiction tv, but I actually love it!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Timeline

It doesn't really matter too much what order you watch them in
    eg you could watch TNG before TOS and it wouldn't matter imho. In fact I watched TOS/TNG/DS9 concurrently when I was first getting into the show.

TBH I'd actually start with TNG and then go back to TOS if you get through it.

Advertisement