Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comms Question

Options
  • 11-07-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭

I have a Motorolla XTNiD and would like to know what is the best headset/PTT to get to go with this?

I would like to get the IASUS NT3 Throat Mic, but I will have to save a little for this.

I was also thinking of getting a Bowman EVO III headset, but I am unsure about a few things.
    • The quality of the communications, both sound & speech
    Is the speech quality of the headphone ok? can you hear clearly from it? Also can people hear your voice clearly from the boom Mic? If you whisper, can it be heard at the other end?

• Connection to Motorolla XTNiD
    The XTNiD takes 2 pins. All the Bowman headsets I have see online seem to have a single plug, similar to that used on a really old 3 in 1 hifi system.

Is there a model with a 2 pin connection or does the headset connect via the single pin to a PTT, which in turn can have 2 pins to connect to the radio? Meaning I need to make sure I get a PTT which is compatable with the XTNiD.
    • Headset Volume.
    I have read on a few reviews that the volume in the headset is quite high? Is this true and is there a way to counteract this?

Any help would be as usual much appreciated or any recommendations other than what I listed above from folks who have experience with comms would again be much appreciated.

I understand that my experience will be limited to some extent to the equipment of the person at the other end, but I am looking for something decent for my own set up.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭spicymchaggis

The bowman headsets themselves come with a military style 1/4 inch plug and that connects to a ptt unit of your choosing (preference in style). When choosing one of those you can chose the pin configuration to match your radio. I have the bowman evo III and the iasus sniper throat mic and prefer the bowman (just had another one land at my door today, no faults in previous, just wanted a different colour)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Cheers for the information. Can I ask where you source your headset and PTT from?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭spicymchaggis

Cheers for the information. Can I ask where you source your headset and PTT from?

TIA

www.ebairsoft.com

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Mando Commando

Hi - those Bowmans work well on my XTNiD, good clarity, the boom mics are sound too you, can whisper. The booms are flexible so you can move them closer to your mouth if you want. I like them. Just get the correct PTT. Also your XTNiD has a mic gain setting in the menus. As for the volume from the earpiece, just keep the vol down on the radio. I don't use throat mics so can't comment. I have used the acoustic tube earpieces before and don't like them - they're either sticking into your ear uncomfortably or they're falling out of it if your moving about in a rambunctious fashion.

On thing about the replica Bowmann/PTT set up though, they are cheap and from China so the old QC ain't the best. Sound will be fine but the wiring is cheap and can fail at the connection or bend points over time. I've had to solder up a few in the past but they're simple enough pieces of kit to work on if ya can get past the molded fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

@Mando: You mentioned "Replica Bowman", is there such a thing available as a "Real Bowman" and would these be any better? as I wouldn't mind spending a little more if you were getting better quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Mando Commando

There's always guys on ebay selling used British Army Bowman gear, and the headsets are cheap - but they have different plugs/connectors than the "airsoft" versions. Presume they have the same functions roughly so in theory you could hook up a Motorola 2-pin plug to the end of the PTT-radio cable. Or hook up the 1/4" jack thingy to the headset and use an "airsoft" PTT.

I remember hearing that the soldiers were always giving out about the Bowman radio system but I can't remember exactly what the issues were, so maybe they're not so great either?

Advertisement