Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baptisms

Options
  • 11-07-2012 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi, would I be right in thinking that in late 1800's/early 1900's babies would have been baptised within a couple of weeks unlike now?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

In general RC baptisms took place very soon after birth i.e. days - sometimes even the same day. CofI baptisms could take place months later.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Elizabetha

Thought so much, thanks Shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Elizabetha wrote: »
    Hi, would I be right in thinking that in late 1800's/early 1900's babies would have been baptised within a couple of weeks unlike now?
    Thanks!
    Even as recently as the mid-1900s. I think even a couple of weeks is a generous estimate: less than a week was the norm.

Thanks P Breathnack, I suppose it was because so many babies died soon after birth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Since the baptism took place so soon after birth it was common for the mother not to be present. Normally just the father and sponsors/godparents.

On one or two family records I saw this resulted in confusion with the godmothers name down as the mother and vice versa - in each case they were sisters and perhaps the priest/clerk just got mixed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Just another interesting wrinkle, a thing that can cause confusion unless you are aware of it: sometimes it appears that babies were baptised before they were born.

Baptism was normally conducted in the first few days of a child's life. Registration of the birth might be delayed until it was convenient - for example, the next time a parent was in the local town, which might not be a regular visit. There was a financial penalty for late registration (I think more than 3 months later than the birth); the standard way of avoiding the fine was to declare a later date than the true one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Must acknowledge more incidental help. I've been trawling the Church records the past few days with a lot of success and have gotten back to 1784! Some of the links are a bit tenuous to say the least but the above discussion gives me a bit more confidence that I'm not too far off with some of the assumptions I've been making.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks lads, those comments make a lot of sense. Between ancesters not knowing their age and putting down pet names it can get quite confusing!

Advertisement