Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast Shows in Ireland

Options
  • 11-07-2012 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

I come here not to praise morning radio, but to bury it.

Morning Ireland: Too depressing.

Newstalk: Too tabloid. My views on Chris and his love of hitting every T in every word square on are well known (particularly to my long-suffering wife), Shane Coleman is alright actually, but these discussions they have about every story are starting to grate. Too much irrelevant opinion (see Hook, G)

Today FM: Iano. Radio by numbers. The old jock trick of making a five-second sentence stretch to 3 minutes. Bland and tired.

Nova: The music is good, but the zany dj is a head-wrecker.

Phantom: The music is good but OH MY GOD that DJ is a head-wrecker. His sidekick clearly hates him too, no matter how much she fake laughs at his "jokes"

FM104: I actually quite like listening to the lads, but the music isn't my cup of tea.

98FM: Never tried it, assume I'd hate it.

Lyric: Marty, nuff said (sorry Hugo BB)

4FM: What's a 4FM?

I'd like to see Alison Curtis get the morning gig on Phantom - that'd be a good mix, I think. Or better still, get the morning gig on Nova. Anyone but Pat or, as seems inevitable Marty "You're listening to Nova and this is Marty "You're listening to Nova and this is Marty Miller"" Miller.

DCAL FM: Good DJ, great music, too much traffic :p

There's a market for a decent, music-driven station playing decent music by a DJ who isn't "hilarious".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Since Ivan left Newstalk there is really nothing for me to listen to first thing in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Since Ivan left Newstalk there is really nothing for me to listen to first thing in the morning

Ivan and Shane Coleman.....we can but dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Really liked Alison Curtis when she used to present the early morning breakfast show on today fm, she was very good.
    My personal favourite morning presenter was Ann Marie Kelly, she did the AMkelly show on today fm, she had a huge audience, left to have a baby, came back to do one or two shows but sadly no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Really liked Alison Curtis when she used to present the early morning breakfast show on today fm, she was very good.
    My personal favourite morning presenter was Ann Marie Kelly, she did the AMkelly show on today fm, she had a huge audience, left to have a baby, came back to do one or two shows but sadly no more.

AM Kelly is back on Midlands 103 for the past couple of years. Haven't listened though.

I used to find Bernard and Keith on iRadio funny, but couldn't listen to the music.

Had been listening to Chris Moyles for the past couple of years. Won't be much options now.

Thought Hector did a fantastic job in Poland, but generally can't stick him - too much baby talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

tbh wrote: »

There's a market for a decent, music-driven station playing decent music by a DJ who isn't "hilarious".

What's decent music, though?

I think what you're looking for is a personalised station to suit just your preferences.

You can be sure that each station does extensive market research and have agood handle on what their target audience like and want.

• Advertisement

Valetta wrote: »
    What's decent music, though?

I think what you're looking for is a personalised station to suit just your preferences.

You can be sure that each station does extensive market research and have agood handle on what their target audience like and want.

no no, I like phantom because it exposes me to both music I already know, and music I don't. Nova is the same, with a greater amount of music I already know. That's grand. I just hate the morning dj's on both, because they both try to be "mad" and fail spectacularly. Imho, of course ;)

I already said what I'd like - Alison Curtis on the phantom breakfast show. She knows her music and doesn't try to force her personality on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭INCONFIDENCE

That's a bit silly you remind me of a guy in our office every thing he has never heard of is crap.

I listen to Songs for Swinging Culchies with Seamus Farrelly on LM FM Radio , try it , its different.

That's a bit silly you remind me of a guy in our office every thing he has never heard of is crap.
    I just don't like 98fm, I know it's a bit close-minded of me. I'll give it a try tomorrow.
    I listen to Songs for Swinging Culchies with Seamus Farrelly on LM FM Radio , try it , its different.

Can't get LM FM unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

no no, I like phantom because it exposes me to both music I already know, and music I don't. Nova is the same, with a greater amount of music I already know. That's grand. I just hate the morning dj's on both, because they both try to be "mad" and fail spectacularly. Imho, of course ;)

I already said what I'd like - Alison Curtis on the phantom breakfast show. She knows her music and doesn't try to force her personality on you.

What's her phantom feedback show like? just reading the site it seems like some sort of chit chat show, why would someone with her musical knowledge do this :confused::confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Get an internet radio and stick on Shaun Keaveny on BBC 6 music. The only negative is a bit too much self-depracating wit.

Or have a listen here http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/keaveny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I come here not to praise morning radio, but to bury it.

Morning Ireland: Too depressing.

Newstalk: Too tabloid. My views on Chris and his love of hitting every T in every word square on are well known (particularly to my long-suffering wife), Shane Coleman is alright actually, but these discussions they have about every story are starting to grate. Too much irrelevant opinion (see Hook, G)

Today FM: Iano. Radio by numbers. The old jock trick of making a five-second sentence stretch to 3 minutes. Bland and tired.

Nova: The music is good, but the zany dj is a head-wrecker.

Phantom: The music is good but OH MY GOD that DJ is a head-wrecker. His sidekick clearly hates him too, no matter how much she fake laughs at his "jokes"

FM104: I actually quite like listening to the lads, but the music isn't my cup of tea.

Lyric: Marty, nuff said (sorry Hugo BB)

4FM: What's a 4FM?

I'd like to see Alison Curtis get the morning gig on Phantom - that'd be a good mix, I think. Or better still, get the morning gig on Nova. Anyone but Pat or, as seems inevitable Marty "You're listening to Nova and this is Marty "You're listening to Nova and this is Marty Miller"" Miller.

DCAL FM: Good DJ, great music, too much traffic :p

Serious question - is 2FM so irrelevant now that Hector doesnt even get a mention (good, bad or indefferent) in your OP? :confused:

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Serious question - is 2FM so irrelevant now that Hector doesnt even get a mention (good, bad or indefferent) in your OP? :confused:

ha! it actually is. I heard hector once when I was in a taxi, doing his "professional culchie" schtick from Poznan - not for me. I can see how he has his fans, but it's a bit too much "forced fun" for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

ha! it actually is. I heard hector once when I was in a taxi, doing his "professional culchie" schtick from Poznan - not for me. I can see how he has his fans, but it's a bit too much "forced fun" for me.

Yeah, I would be one of those fans I suppose.

There is a good bit more depth to his stuff than someone like Ian Dempsey - as in I have actually heard Hector express opinions on issues of the day from time to time - and not just on the zany, offbeat side.

Anyway, come on tbh - edit in your last post into the OP for the sake of completeness if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Also Q102 was ommitted in favour of minority stations such as Phantom and Nova.

And then he has a pop at 4FM! :eek:

GSF wrote: »
    Also Q102 was ommitted in favour of minority stations such as Phantom and Nova.

And then he has a pop at 4FM! :eek:

do q102 not just play music in the mornings?

I don't remember them having a "breakfast show" as such

puffishoes wrote: »
    do q102 not just play music in the mornings?

I don't remember them having a "breakfast show" as such

And thats not a show? News, Weather, Traffic and a minumum of other clutter could well be the way to go considering how tired the zany double headers are becoming.

And thats not a show? News, Weather, Traffic and a minumum of other clutter could well be the way to go considering how tired the zany double headers are becoming.

well i guess technically it's a show yes but it's not really a "breakfast show" as we know breakfast shows to be IMO.

plus he asked for some decent music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I think the pair on Phantom are good, i hate that stupid spelling game they play with the band names, so i usually catch 15 mins of newstalk, but other than that i like em.

The worst is that eejit on Nova FM. A new low for radio.

Dublin City FM is ok too, but the traffic updates last longer than sunday mass, haven't the patience for that.

I am pie wrote: »

Dublin City FM is ok too, but the traffic updates last longer than sunday mass, haven't the patience for that.

hmm??

"Traffic Control Centre, LiveDrive is Dublin’s only dedicated live traffic update service"

It's a dedicated traffic show. :confused::confused:

if phantom or nova (I like my guitar music) followed that format: bingo. For science, I'll try Q102 as well.

• Advertisement

if phantom or nova (I like my guitar music) followed that format: bingo. For science, I'll try Q102 as well.

Yes I'd agree. The zany formats have had their day. They are so 80's and 90's.

Q102 is doing well by keeping it; others could do the same with their own music fomats too.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

I'm an old Phantom head, and i still miss Sinister Pete's morning show - phantom's morning show is just turning into a bland reproduction of all the other breakfast shows out there - with the team bumbling on about last night's TV or other rubbish.

Tis frustrating, alright, i find myself flicking between phantom, nova and newstalk.... or, increasingly, digging out CDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Thought Hector did a fantastic job in Poland, but generally can't stick him - too much baby talk.

He's talking about baby names now. Does he always go this type of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Ive now started listening to Ryan Tubridy on BBC radio 2 hes standing in for chris evans whos a pain to listen to

I think tubridy has found his "home" now and sounds very relaxed prsenting the breakfast show over there. Could be he could follow in terry wogans footsteps very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

bob50 wrote: »
    Ive now started listening to Ryan Tubridy on BBC radio 2 hes standing in for chris evans whos a pain to listen to

I think tubridy has found his "home" now and sounds very relaxed prsenting the breakfast show over there. Could be he could follow in terry wogans footsteps very soon

He possibly could, but he has already stated that he would never make a perma move to BBC when he has it so good at home. Shame that..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Irish radio before 12noon is pretty catastrophic if you just want a light hearted show, bit of music, bit of chat type thing.

REDFM's Red Rooster here in Cork is pretty good. Not as good as it was when KC and Lenny were at the helm, but it's still one of the better shows out there.

I cannot stand Ian Dempsey. I don't know why. He's just very... Fenton-ish. You know I mean, cliched radio babble.

My thoughts on Newstalk have been well documented over on that thread, and I flat out refuse to listen to Radio 1 unless they're covering the Arts or something.

All that's left really is the TuneIn stations, which are a god-send really.

Would be nice to see Louise Duffy get the proper Today FM gig for a while, and Allison Curtis would do pretty well in a breakfast slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Would be nice to see Louise Duffy get the proper Today FM gig for a while, and Allison Curtis would do pretty well in a breakfast slot.

I enjoyed Louise Duffy when she started. She was very fresh and new to the whole thing.

Hard to explain, but as her confidence grew I began to disklike what she was doing more. I now have switched off. The morning I switched off she had read out about 5 o 6 newspaper stories and gave her own (rambling) opinion on each of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Dont know where you are in the country, but if not in the area in question get on the net and tune into WLRfm. Timmy Ryan is on Monday to Friday from 6-30 to 10-00 and is very good. Has at a number of Co Presenters with him. Aoibhinn Fallon was without doubt the best of them. There was a great chemistry between the two. Karen Doyle is the current co-presenter and while she has grown into the job coming from the Newsroom, dont think the chemistry is there between the two. Nicola Beresford has also co-presented and is also a stand in co-presenter at times and is too serious for the job. Your woman that finished 3rd in the voice of Ireland recently did a week as a co-presenter and as the week went on grew into the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Morning radio isnt that bad in Ireland. Rte radio one you have morning Ireland which despite the presenters not being able to read a clock it's the best radio morning show. so rte need to make a trip to dunnes or some such place and purchase one post haste.

Then it's John Murray who is... something, and then pat kenny who can be very good when he is well read on an issue and then we get the angelus, I mean who doesnt like that ?

2fm has hector who is culchie radio by numbers and grand if you like that kind of thing. Tubbs is in the wrong place and wrong situation and then we get Colm hayes who is poor for the hour of the morning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement