Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Rental- cheap automatic for xmas

Options
  • 11-07-2012 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

Looking for a cheap place to rent an automatic car from for the two weeks of christmas (15th-28th)- they seem to cost twice as much as manuals to rent from the major rental places which is crazy! Doesn't need to be big, a golf would be perfect. Working as a volunteer abroad so need to do this on the cheap so any advice or suggestions would be fantastic. Will probably fly into Dublin so any Dublin locations would be great, Cork is good too though. Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Christmas is the most expensive time of year to rent in Ireland. Automatics are always about twice the price of manuals all year round.

I remember on a thread last year someone suggest buying a cheap car and insuring it for month (i.e. cancel the direct debit after the first payment).
    Sell the car or get someone to sell it for you when you leave.
    You'd have to do the sums but is should work out cheaper than renting but perhaps not less hassle.

Going down the rental route I recommend Avis. They have the clearest pricing,no hidden charges, no airport charges etc. Just buy your excess insurance separately to save a few bob.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mmmmjones

Automatics are usually more expensive - I think it's because they're just more expensive to buy than manuals, or maybe they're just not as common.

These guys are good for cheap car hire.

Advertisement