Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megaleptictis, a large leptictid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Has it yet been confirmed whether leptictids ran or hopped like kangaroos? I recall there being a lot of controversy when Walking With Beasts depicted Leptictidium as a hopper when the orthodox view on the subject was that they did not hop.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Last thing I heard was that there was stronger evidence for the hopping hypothesis. Then again, this was some time ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Even a hopper must have left tracks I suppose, but until we find some I am not sure we will ever know for certain. The shape of it's legs to me mean it probably did a bit of both. walking when browsing/grazing/eating. and hopping when in a hurry or being pursued? But I am just guessing here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Rubecula wrote: »
    Even a hopper must have left tracks I suppose, but until we find some I am not sure we will ever know for certain. The shape of it's legs to me mean it probably did a bit of both. walking when browsing/grazing/eating. and hopping when in a hurry or being pursued? But I am just guessing here.

I can imagine it hopping on all fours like a rabbit while foraging, and jumping like a kangaroo when on the run.

Advertisement