Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepay Petrol Admin Charges

Options
  • 10-07-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Went to Hogans on the Lahinch road this evening, petrol is listed as 157.9 per litre. Handed in €20 and the lad asked me for €20.50 the 50 cent being an administration charge. It's a prepay situation there so I took my €20 and went to Donellans.
    The price per litre including the admin charge for €20 is actually 161.8.
    If you are like me and usually pick up something else you may not even know you are being ripped off.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't see this as a scam to be honest, they are telling you before you pay for it, I think you might be better off discussing this in the Motoring forum by the way, probably get more feedback from other users, I'm not sure of other prepay petrol operators in Clare.

For what it's worth, the last time I got petrol up there I didn't pay any extra for an "Administration" Charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Kilnababe

Yeah but my point is if you got a cone or a bar of chocolate with the petrol you wouldn't even know that you were being charged. It doesn't state on the notice at the pumps that there is an admin charge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Wasn't there a case against mobile phone operators doing stuff like this in the past? I'm the worst type of driver, I fill the car every time I get petrol so prepay annoys me so I don't bother with it, saying that I would notice if I had put in €80 and they were looking for more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Kilnababe wrote: »
    Yeah but my point is if you got a cone or a bar of chocolate with the petrol you wouldn't even know that you were being charged. It doesn't state on the notice at the pumps that there is an admin charge.
    It might be worth asking the Consumer Association of Ireland for their opinion.

Excellent suggestion Mrs D Thanks, will do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Thanks for the tip off Kilnababe!!

As you say most people will pick up something else with the petrol (ciggies :o) so wouldn't notice this especially if there's no signs up!

I thought the whole idea of this pre-pay lark was to bring the costs down:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Silvics

Claregirl wrote: »

As you say most people will pick up something else with the petrol (ciggies :o) so wouldn't notice this especially if there's no signs up!

I thought the whole idea of this pre-pay lark was to bring the costs down:confused:
    Reducing costs in our little country?????

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

Went to Hogans on the Lahinch road this evening, petrol is listed as 157.9 per litre. Handed in €20 and the lad asked me for €20.50 the 50 cent being an administration charge. It's a prepay situation there so I took my €20 and went to Donellans.
    The price per litre including the admin charge for €20 is actually 161.8.
    If you are like me and usually pick up something else you may not even know you are being ripped off.

it may be relevant to admin charge but did you attempt to pay the 20eu by cash/credit card or laser?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,979 ✭✭✭✭event

how do you know they wouldn't have said it to you in that instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Scar001

Got diesel in Hogan's last night.
    Paid with credit card.
    No administration cost??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Claregirl wrote: »

Absolutely nothing to do with bringing costs down and if it is, not for the consumer anyway, so nothing new there.;)
    The idea is to prevent drive-offs, where people fill up, most likely with a stolen reg on the car and make off without paying.
    I've seen pre-pay on the Esso garage at Hogan's on the old Galway road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I bought Diesel there last week and never heard about fee!
    saying that I don't like prepay and won't be returning.

Scar001 wrote: »
    Got diesel in Hogan's last night.
    Paid with credit card.
    No administration cost??

how much diesel? sorry for being picky.if the amount is small then credit card
    charges to the retailer can mean that petrol and diesel is being sold at a loss (particularly if the price is low)

€20 cash, handed in a €20 note and was asked for 50c more

€20 cash, handed in a €20 note and was asked for 50c more

not good:( if fact id go further and say its bad buisness. the price should be whats displayed

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Scar001

pilate 1 wrote: »
    how much diesel? sorry for being picky.if the amount is small then credit card
    charges to the retailer can mean that petrol and diesel is being sold at a loss (particularly if the price is low)

50 quid diesel at 1.479 per litre.
    Can't understand how there is administarion on paying cash.
    Other stations are same price per litre now so probably won't bother with prepay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Got €20 of petrol today at Hogans there. Used my laser card to pay and there was no admin fee charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bannermaf

I get my deisel there all the time and have never paid an extra fee.

I just called the office now and they don't know how this could happen.

The lady suggested that the attendant though I asked for call credit, even though I specified the pump number.

In light of that I suggest this thread be closed in fairness to the business concerned.

The lady in the office is checking out the CCTV to establish exactly what happened.

In light of that I suggest this thread be closed in fairness to the business concerned.

Your wish is my command

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement