Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extortionate Dentist Prices???

Options
  • 10-07-2012 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    My wife went for a check-up today and she was told she needs a few fillings, some wisdom teeth removed and a crown. When she told me the price she was quoted i thought she was joking.

Posterior Composite Filling (4 * €115)
    Porcelain fused to metal Crown €750 (lower left fifth tooth)
    Wisdom teeth removed (by operation because they're too deep) (3 * €200)

I have no idea what the dentistry rates are in Ireland, but this seems outrageous. Nearly 2 grand for the lot. I'd nearly book a flight to eastern Europe and get it done for half the price.

Moderators i'm not looking for medical advice, i just want to know if these prices sound normal?

Appreciate the time.

Mick
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Hey,
    My wife went for a check-up today and she was told she needs a few fillings, some wisdom teeth removed and a crown. When she told me the price she was quoted i thought she was joking.

I have no idea what the dentistry rates are in Ireland, but this seems outrageous. Nearly 2 grand for the lot. I'd nearly book a flight to eastern Europe and get it done for half the price.

Moderators i'm not looking for medical advice, i just want to know if these prices sound normal?

Appreciate the time.

Mick

Please do.. the dentists in Ireland will make 3 times that fixing the problems when she gets 4 implants, 6 crowns 7 root canals.

Firstly how long has it been since her last check up?
    Also on the wisdom teeth not a lot to be done here, I presume thats under IV sedation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Hey,

Appreciate the time.

Mick

Hi Mick,
    the quoted prices seem average enough for that sort of treatment;
    Large composite fillings can be e90-160 in some clinics depending on size
    A PFM for e750 is on the lower end of normal
    I charge e300 for a lower surgical wisdom and e100-150 for an upper....

With respect, your problem is not that the individual prices are high but that your wife needs a few different treatments and that is not the dentist's fault....

OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Prices seems fine to me. Quality dental work is necessarily expensive. Prevention is important also and totally free. Travelling abroad is not advisable, but you can research that for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Please do.. the dentists in Ireland will make 3 times that fixing the problems when she gets 4 implants, 6 crowns 7 root canals.

Firstly how long has it been since her last check up?
    Also on the wisdom teeth not a lot to be done here, I presume thats under IV sedation?

Last check up was 18 mths ago, she got 2 fillings at the time and one tooth removed.

Yes as far i know it'll be an IV, the wisdom teeth have fully come through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Hi Mick,
    the quoted prices seem average enough for that sort of treatment;
    Large composite fillings can be e90-160 in some clinics depending on size
    A PFM for e750 is on the lower end of normal
    I charge e300 for a lower surgical wisdom and e100-150 for an upper....

With respect, your problem is not that the individual prices are high but that your wife needs a few different treatments and that is not the dentist's fault....

OS

It's good to get a professional opinion, thanks a lot for the feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Having travelled around over the last number of years, I've been to numerous dentists for various treatments and I can strongly advise that you don't go abroad for a lot of treatment. If/when something goes wrong you really need to be near the dentist that has done the work. Otherwise you will end up paying a lot to have it fixed here.. not to mention the stress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 benny306

Hi,

I've been abroad (Bratislava) once for treatment to get a bridge and other work about 4 years ago. I was quoted about €6000 here and ended up paying just under €2000 there for the dental work, flights, hotel - all in. My dentist was trained in the US from UCLA and overall it was a great experience. I even had a concierge who picked me up from the airport and drove me around on my off day.

No problems since and I plan on getting implants in the next few years. Whether I'll do that here or abroad depends a lot on price. In my opinion going abroad is a viable option.

All I can say is to be careful, do your homework (as you should with all dentists even here in Ireland) and then make the best choice possible.

I got a quote from an English dentist for 8-10 veneers. 12-15 thousand sterling.

Im just always surprised that prices never seem to come down. You know like when for example laptops phones etc first come out they can be expensive, but then after a while the prices drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Jake1 wrote: »
    I got a quote from an English dentist for 8-10 veneers. 12-15 thousand sterling.

Im just always surprised that prices never seem to come down. You know like when for example laptops phones etc first come out they can be expensive, but then after a while the prices drop.

That's because as the technology becomes old, the chinese factories can produce it for next to nothing...

Dentistry is a service more than a product. You pay for the dentist's skill, training and time and that is not going down.... The clinic's costs are also high, staff wages, rent, rates, HIQA policies..... The cost of good quality labwork is also high as they have their own expenses etc...

You are not comparing like with like....

You are not comparing like with like....

Indeed, my local dentist is a one man show, he employs a nurse and a receptionist and of course there is the cost of the premises. Looking at what he charged me for check up and a few fillings it all seemed quite reasonable.

Been almost two years now that I think of it, better make an appointment :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement