Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4D Cinema

Options
  • 10-07-2012 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭

Saw this mentioned in the iSense thread so I thought I'd start a new topic. Apparently Cineworld are looking to trial 4D Cinema using the D-Box System in Cineworld Glasgow. I wouldn't mind seeing this come to a cinema in Dublin, it looks pretty cool.

Source

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It works for short stuff or theme park rides but I dunno if I'd want to be jostled around for 2hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I've heard of competing versions of what "4D" is though.

The D-Box system is one thing, but in relation to 4D there was also talk of smells being included. Prometheus had even been trialled with this system. I read this only yesterday somewhere...

Link to follow.

Edit:

http://www.slashfilm.com/4d-coming-theater/
    The company, which operates Asia’s biggest chain of movie theaters, has already set up some 29 specialty theaters in South Korea, Thailand, and Mexico, showing Hollywood hits like Avatar and Prometheus in 4D to sold-out crowds
    CJ’s theaters will feature moving seats (up to 240 in each theater), giant fans, and strobe lights, along with nozzles that spray mist, water, bubbles, or even scents. Their catalog of odors includes about 1,000 different smells, and runs the gamut from “burning rubber” and “gunpowder” to “rose garden” and “coffee.” It takes programmers about two to three weeks to add in the effects, using special software that can control how hard the fans blow or how violently the seats shake.

So if a movie is really bad, does that mean it'll smell completely of sh1t?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Or when you're watching Titanic 3D they could pay people to splash you with buckets of water. That's interactivity

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

So if a movie is really bad, does that mean it'll smell completely of sh1t?

Ha, yeah. And with the likes of the Transformers fight scenes, they'll spray thousands of metal shavings and sparks into your face.

Or better still; sprays of sweat from Rocky 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,431 ✭✭✭TheChizler

krudler wrote: »
    It works for short stuff or theme park rides but I dunno if I'd want to be jostled around for 2hrs

Ever do Honey I Shrunk the Audience in Disneyworld? Used to great effect in that situation. I'd enjoy it for movies up the the point where it becomes distracting. If they can guarantee that it will be subtle and wont take away from the plot and movie itself. Just enough to immerse you in the scene. However with those water effects I'd be worried about being immersed in a literal sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I'm not sure if its constant or just for big action scenes. I wouldn't mind seeing TDKR on an IMAX screen with D-Box though

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I hope none of this comes to pass. Personally I think the 3 has done more harm then good and this seems even more gimmicky.
    I just wanna watch films at the cinema!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

So if you were watching an orgy?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,431 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Actually in the case of moving chairs it would technically be 6D cinema as you're adding 3, not 1 dimension of movement... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

But cineworld already have D-Box (in certain cinemas at least) in the UK? was in the O2 dome one in london a couple of months ago and it was listed in the prices. You can see it on the website too, spiderman currently has a bunch of D-Box enabled showings: http://www.cineworld.co.uk/cinemas/79

It's very expensive mind, £4.50 for 2D and £5.50 for 3D showings? Could see myself trying it once as a novelty but can't imagine it adds enough for frequent trips (although I imagine it only gets used for a small enough number of films).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

It seems they have moved quickly since the article I quoted (March 2012) and have rolled it out in a few of their UK cinemas

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This is the worst idea I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Got a message from a friend of mine this morning saying she watched Transformers 5 at one of these in a Cineworld in Essex (apologies if there's a more recent thread but this one showed up in Google :) ). Said there was water effects, wind simulators, moving seats and all sorts.

I like my films 2D and gimmick-free but I think I could get on board with trying one of these for a mindless blockbuster. My friend certainly said it was the best film experience of her life and she was watching Transformers FFS.

Anyone else tried one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Well, looks like Avengers: Infinity War will be the first feature length film shown here in 4DX (opens later this week).

Tbh, think I'm going to hate the experience, as mild seat kicking alone drives me nuts... but sure will give it a shot anyway.

Anyone have any first hand experiences of it in the UK or wherever?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,171 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I would have zero interest in this - just let me watch the movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I only go to the cinema to see movies for which I'd rather not wait for a home release. The smaller art-house or drama movies wouldn't be suited to 4D and I usually see those in The Lighthouse anyway.

For the larger blockbusters which will get a 4D release, if I am sufficiently interested in the movie to warrant a cinema trip, I'd rather not be jostled about in the seat or have stuff blown in my face while watching it. I feels like such a ridiculous gimmick.

I do quite enjoy the way the low frequency bass causes the seat to vibrate during explosions but that's as far as it should go.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭geecee

I have seen GOTG 1 and Shin Godzilla in the 4DX cinema at Paragon in Bangkok
    The water spray, air jets built into the headrest and the smoke in the theatre is quite fun
    Don't go if you have a hangover!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Anyone know a good chiropractor?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Anyone know a good chiropractor?

Yep.

2s7sy0x.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I saw the commuter in 4dx in Edinburgh. It seemed they were just trying to use as many of the features of it as possible every gun shot sent a jet of air past your ear etc. The movement of the train was done quite well though. Its fun as a novelty but wouldn't be like oooh will definitely want to see that in 4dx like you might do with imax or other big screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Went to a special screening of Rampage last night in Cineworld Dublin - the 4DX was fun.

They did a special showing of what to expect - they had fake snow and bubbles :pac: The gusts of wind at your ears are good effect for the bullets and when there's a punch, the chairs massage your back a bit ;)

The sprays of water are like a squirt gun, but can be disabled from a button on the arm rest. The lights flash alongside lightning and explosion effects.

And just in front of the screen is little puffs of smoke for the aftermath of explosions and they're just hilarious/dumb looking.

I say its well worth a try if there's a big fun film actiony film you wanna see again, cause it can be a bit distracting.

The trailers for it were Avengers, Jurassic Park (chairs vibrated with dinosaur roar) and Star Wars (Millenium Falcon flight simulation/chair movements was pretty decent)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Donald Clarke isn't a fan anyway!

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/4dx-cinema-a-supposedly-fun-thing-i-ll-never-do-again-1.3474105

I can see the appeal for theme park rides but for an entire movie? No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,681 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

As this is 4d does that mean the film is being shown in 3d or can a film be shown in 2d in this screen with all the effects?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,920 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

done the one in Madam Tussauds in london and liked it but that was a differnt type cinema i imagine as it was a 360 4D marvel short

good fun

Might go up to Dublin early when im going to a concert or something and watch a movie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I went to see avengers today , it’s novel but the seat moving becomes a bit annoying after a while , good to experience it but I think kids will enjoy it but it’s a bit of a FAD in my opinion . Popcorn flying around , eat as much as you can before the movies starts ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

peteeeed wrote: »
    I went to see avengers today , it’s novel but the seat moving becomes a bit annoying after a while , good to experience it but I think kids will enjoy it but it’s a bit of a FAD in my opinion . Popcorn flying around , eat as much as you can before the movies starts ��

'Avengers' running time: 2 hours 30 minutes... Fook that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

peteeeed wrote: »
    eat as much as you can before the movies starts ��

Wont be a problem. Ads and trailers are so long and I have zero willpower meaning I have very little popcorn left for the main event :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,343 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

You will extremely lucky if you didn't choke on your popcorn while watching just one movie with this needless crap piling in on top of it at your own peril. No thanks.

• Advertisement

You will extremely lucky if you didn't choke on your popcorn while watching just one movie with this needless crap piling in on top of it at your own peril. No thanks.

Did you go see a 4dx movie?

Advertisement