Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF3 Jet Advice

Options
  • 10-07-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Anyone, anything? I'm absolutely hopeless. Maybe I'm missing something. How the hell do I take down anything with the Gattling Gun? Once I manage that the heat seekers will make things better. But for now all I can hit is the ground once I crash into it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

1. Find an empty Server
    2. Practice
    3.????
    4. Profit! :D

But seriously, practice is your only hope. There's not much of a trick to it as far as i can tell. I'm not a fantastic pilot myself but I can take things out when necessary. Just make sure to slow the jet down when turning so as to make a tighter turn. Also, get some altitude and try coming down on top of your target, especially if your going after a tank or something on the ground. It gives you more time to line up the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭kessler182

I'd say watching some of the more skilled youtubers would be your best bet to see their playstyle in jets, i'm not the best pilot myself but I picked up a thing or two from watching some vids.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Hah! I can maneuver it reasonably well, but realistically I couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat. My one and only kill was a head-on kamikaze with another jet, didn't get any points but I was delighted with it. :P

Good idea re:the empty server, makes sense. Might just spend half an hour in caspian border tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Play on the Maps with the F35 and then hover at Objectives. It only makes sense to do this on the closest objective to your spawn at the start of the game, or else you'll get blown out of the sky. You'll get the Objective Taken points added to your Jets score and it will help you get to the Heatseekers quicker.

You can also fly in tandem with a better pilot and attack what he attacks and this should net you some Kill Assist points.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

The slowing down when turning and shooting was the biggest game changer for me. I was constantly flying way too fast, had huge turning circles and barely got any hits on strafe runs. I now have around 5 hours racked in jets (I barely use them, they add very little to the team) and have unlocked everything, I think. It took about 1-2 hours in the jets for everything to click.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Yeah, I'm kind of getting into it now - slowing right down makes the biggest difference. I still have never taken anything down, but I'm managing to hit things!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

When turning, as already mentioned, brake completely, and afterburn out of a turn.
    When dogfighting, aim about 0.5-1 inch in front of the path of the other jet, depending on how close you are to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Go after helis, they are alot easier targets than jets.
    Spot them and keep circling around to strafe them with the guns, if they try to lock on just pull up.

Also if you see an enemy bail out of a jet/heli keep shooing it for vehicle destroyed points.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

Go after helis, they are alot easier targets than jets.
    Spot them and keep circling around to strafe them with the guns, if they try to lock on just pull up.

Also if you see an enemy bail out of a jet/heli keep shooting it for vehicle destroyed points.
    You get more points for vehicle destroy assists .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

If in a dogfight, or tailing another jet, lead the target a bit, shooting at where it is, you'll miss every time.
    play in cockpit view when on a target, its easier to keep track of them, though 3rd person is handy when cruising and looking for targets.
    Try to keep your speed about 310, it seems to give you the tightest turning circle.
    I wouldn't put too much stock in heat seekers, most everyone has flares unlocked, so you're letting them know you're there locking on, when yih could be doing damage with the gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

The only thing heat seakers are handy for is getting other jets to turn in dogfights, so you can light up your cannons on them. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If in a dogfight, or tailing another jet, lead the target a bit, shooting at where it is, you'll miss every time.
    play in cockpit view when on a target, its easier to keep track of them, though 3rd person is handy when cruising and looking for targets.
    Try to keep your speed about 310, it seems to give you the tightest turning circle.
    I wouldn't put too much stock in heat seekers, most everyone has flares unlocked, so you're letting them know you're there locking on, when yih could be doing damage with the gun.

Heat seakers are class when you know how to use them, Lock on to the enemy but fire only one, the second you fire keep them in your sight but reload. about 2 seconds after they launch the flare pop your second rocket off, you will have one hit.... keep on their tail and if still locked your next rocket launch it and you should get a vehicle disable :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

If a jet uses heat seekers against me all it does is tell me where they are, they are easy to dodge. Even when they hit me I use extinguisher to sort out my health and I can just get behind them and easily gun them down. Use rocket pods instead so you can attack ground targets and help your team.

Advertisement