Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student grant and benefits

Options
  • 10-07-2012 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I am 16 and live with my mum. My mum is alone parent on a invalidity pension, rent supplement and household package. I am hoping to go to college in september and want to apply for a student grant but my mum is really really worried that she might loose some of her benefits if I do. Does anybody know if she might.:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Jamiegirl wrote: »
    I am 16 and live with my mum. My mum is alone parent on a invalidity pension, rent supplement and household package. I am hoping to go to college in september and want to apply for a student grant but my mum is really really worried that she might loose some of her benefits if I do. Does anybody know if she might.:confused:
    If she is working part time it may possibly bring her over the income threshold for some benefits but probably won't have any effect

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

Your mam won't lose her benefits just for you applying. You will have to declare them on your grant form but she wouldn't lose them unless she breached a condition of it, such as getting a part time job thus increasing her income etc. Go ahead and apply.

You can apply online now at www.studentfinance.ie to get the ball rolling and then if you get into college in September you can let them know. It's best to get the application in now so you might hear from them before you start college.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jamiegirl

Thanks for all your help.:)

Advertisement