Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fluted Columns for model

Options
  • 10-07-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I am making a timber architectural model with fluted cloumns on the facade similar to https://www.invitinghome.com/store/product.php?productid=17477The longest one is 380mm long and 15mm diameter. I can do the base and capital but don't know how to do the fluting on the column itself.

Does anyone know where i can get them made on a 3d milling machine or is there another way to do it? I live in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

You could carve by hand using a small veiner chisel. Deceide the number of flutes required and figure out the angle between each. For example, 12 flutes, so 30 degrees between each, mark these top and bottom and complete a line from top to bottom as your guide.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Do they have to be wood, you could make one as said above and then make a rubber mould out of it and use plaster paris to make the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 paulrossiter

thanks for the replies guys. I have considered the casting option and i may have to do it that way but i would really prefer to make them in wood if at all possible. it wouldn't be an option to hand carve them all- there are too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

A router lathe is the best option if you can find one. The router is fitted with the appropriate bit and then run along to column. They have an indexing wheel to give the spacing between the flutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 teckel

How many do you have to do??
    Have you got a router, table saw and drill??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

All you need is a small router, and a box.

The overall length of the box needs to be long enough to hold the pillar, so that the router can slide the length of the box, with the appropriate bit milling the groove in the pillar, as it slides. Its a simple thing really.

The pillar needs to be fixed each end, in the end caps of the box. You can attach a circle of plywood at the end of the pillar in the box, in order to index it at the appropriate angle for milling.

If you need a bit more info, I,ll try and do a drawing for you tomorrow.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 47 teckel

kadman wrote: »
    All you need is a small router, and a box.

The overall length of the box needs to be long enough to hold the pillar, so that the router can slide the length of the box, with the appropriate bit milling the groove in the pillar, as it slides. Its a simple thing really.

The pillar needs to be fixed each end, in the end caps of the box. You can attach a circle of plywood at the end of the pillar in the box, in order to index it at the appropriate angle for milling.

If you need a bit more info, I,ll try and do a drawing for you tomorrow.

kadman

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Just make a box to suit the pillar, hence the table saw and drill. Use your router to make the flutes. Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

The lathe I have has an indexing system on it for this kind of work. If you know anyone else who does woodturning they may be able to do them also.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've toyed with this idea in the past too for doing various decorations on turned pieces as my lathe has an indexing system built in too, and started to make a makeshift router jig but never finished it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement