Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation in Spain for Erasmus

Options
  • 10-07-2012 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Need help and advice please.

Daughter is going to Logrono in Northern Spain for her Erasmus starting on 3rd Sept.

Can anyone give advice please on how we would go about getting her accommodation.

She was thinking of going over soon for a few days to look for somewhere, but she is unsure how to go about actually getting addresses of places to look at. She has spoke to the university, but they are not very helpful.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I have no personal experience of going on ERASMUS or any other exchange programme yet, but I reckon if you are able to get in touch with the university in Logrono via email or telephone you could inquire about the accommodation over there from the horses' mouth, most colleges hold accommodation listings so that might be of some use to your daughter. Otherwise she should get in touch with any of her friends who she might know that went on exchange and mine for information from them seeing as they would have the experience.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Already spoke to the university in Logrono, they couldn't help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Find out where the locals get accomodation. There should be an equivalent of Daft. Very important that she shares with non-english speakers!
    University does have accomodation listings
    http://www.unirioja.es/universidad/rii/extranjeros/informacion_practica.shtml#costofliv

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭tbahh

If your daughter hasn't done so already, contact the Spanish Department at NUIG to get a list of students who have been to the place where she is going. They should be able to help her out on where to live and she may even get into a place where they lived during their Erasmus. The Spanish dep. may have already sent out the list anyway (I know the French dep. have)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 petite_puce

Hello,

I'm just finished my Erasmus year, though I spent mine in France. As I was going as a teaching assistant and not to another university I was in the same position as your daughter in that I was on my own when it came to finding accommodation.

Are there any other students in your daughter's class going to Logrono? Normally the Spanish department sends two or three students to the same university. If yes, try to get in contact with them, then at least your daughter will have a small network before leaving Ireland.

To be honest, the best way to get accommodation if neither college is being particularly helpful is to arrive a week (or even two) early and just look around when you're in Spain. Researching from Ireland is a pain: even if you find a great listing, there's not much you can do about it re viewing, mapping the location etc. Buy local newspapers, check out the local equivalent to daft.ie, take a look at public notice boards. Be prepared to have to stay in a hostel/hotel for a while when looking - for me, it took five days to find a place, and another ten before I could move in.

I take Spanish as my other subject and the department are not very organised at the best of times. I do remember that before I left second year there were a couple of class meetings organised with the previous year to discuss their experiences. They weren't very well advertised for my year, so it's possible your daughter didn't know about them, but if she asked around her class maybe someone could help her out.

Good luck to her and hope she finds somewhere quickly!

• Advertisement
Advertisement