Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Laptop For Mrs Mark Advice

Options
  • 10-07-2012 12:13pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Morning folks,

I'm planning on getting a new laptop for the Mrs as a surprise. Her current laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6400 with windows xp. Dual core pentium IIRC.

All she does on it is online shopping, email, and fecking farmville.

Her laptop is actually fine for everything bar that b*stard game. My son likes looking at the game with her, and he has issues with patience and waiting (not bold, just got some problems) so the painful loading / waiting for flash or java or the hamsters on wheels that powers the game can be frustrating.

I've tried reinstalls of xp, tried windows 7. Tried Linux Mint. I think it's the damned game, but it runs super fast seemingly on my laptop (lenovo G570).

Her current laptop has the maximum 2 gb of memory. In task manager it doesn't seem to be running high on either cpu or memory. The battery life is poor anyway, so I think I'll bite the bullet and get a new one.

Budget: 400-500

Intended use: Facebook, email. Skype.

Mobility: Only going to be used in the house. Has a 15.4" screen now. Think about the same again.

Warranty: Not important.

What Operating System do you use? Windows 7 probably a preference, but has used linux.

I presume buying online is easiest and most economical.
    I think something in the i3 range should be plenty for her. Big hdd not a requirement, web cam would be useful.

Maybe something like this Acer, or this Lenovo?

Thanks for the read.

Mark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Lenny is the clear winner based on the specs however

There is another option fitting the budget

HP Pavilion g6-1340eg 39,6 cm (15.6 in) Laptop (Intel Core i5 2450m, 2.5 GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, ATI HD DVD, Windows 7 Home Premium)

http://www.amazon.de/Pavilion-g6-1340eg-Notebook-Intel-2450M/dp/B006OZILJW/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1341920974&sr=1-2

EUR 469.95 delivered in about 2/3 working days

The bad - German keyboard layout
    The good- i5 cpu ,amazon superb customer service when the things go wrong.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Jarren wrote: »
    Lenny is the clear winner based on the specs however

There is another option fitting the budget

HP Pavilion g6-1340eg 39,6 cm (15.6 in) Laptop (Intel Core i5 2450m, 2.5 GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, ATI HD DVD, Windows 7 Home Premium)

http://www.amazon.de/Pavilion-g6-1340eg-Notebook-Intel-2450M/dp/B006OZILJW/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1341920974&sr=1-2

EUR 469.95 delivered in about 2/3 working days

The bad - German keyboard layout
    The good- i5 cpu ,amazon superb customer service when the things go wrong.

Urgh. Extra complexity of explaining keyboard layouts. No thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

The Dell Inspiron 6400 should not have any trouble running farmvile a Pentium 3 will run it fine you really don't need a new laptop to run it sounds more like slow internet that's your trouble.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That's what I would have thought. It's Intel Core Duo T2400 / 5 Mb Cache / 1.83 GHz / 667 MHZ FSB I think from a quick google.

I might try another reinstall this week before I pull the trigger on any purchase.

I'd ruled out the connection as my own laptop is connecting via the same network.

Advertisement