Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Halo 4 Forge Preview

Options
  • 10-07-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Halo 4's forge is looking really good. It's being made by certain affinity (they made Halo CE Anniversary and the Reach map packs).

Here's a video preview of it:

The best feature from that video is easily the
    modifiable zones, where a whole load of player traits can be edited

I'm looking forward to some of the user created maps now.

And from that video, it's looking like we'll no longer have just gray building blocks like in reach.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

God, I can't wait for this game to come out, cod has the life drained out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Footy101

True. Halo 3 was pretty epic. Expecting great things from H4. Can't wait!!

The thing i want most in halo 4 Forge is simple. An "undo" button to step back one edit. It's been so obviously missing from every forge update so far.

Also:

• Different texture effects for surfaces (grass, sand, concrete, etc)
    • Some proper map editor features like a way to shape the landscape, add hills, trees, etc
    • More readymade symmetrical daylight areas of lots of different sizes and variety (I got so tired of looking at reach's grey blocks and the same old forerunner structures in the coliseum and the quarry, that i eventually just gave up bothering.

I'd also like if forge mode was more tightly integrated into multiplayer, to get more people playing on original maps. I spent a lot of time forging maps, only for very few people to ever play on them, and it seemed like a lot of effort for very little payback.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

The thing i want most in halo 4 Forge is simple. An "undo" button to step back one edit. It's been so obviously missing from every forge update so far.

Also:

• Different texture effects for surfaces (grass, sand, concrete, etc)
    • Some proper map editor features like a way to shape the landscape, add hills, trees, etc
    • More readymade symmetrical daylight areas of lots of different sizes and variety (I got so tired of looking at reach's grey blocks and the same old forerunner structures in the coliseum and the quarry, that i eventually just gave up bothering.

I'd also like if forge mode was more tightly integrated into multiplayer, to get more people playing on original maps. I spent a lot of time forging maps, only for very few people to ever play on them, and it seemed like a lot of effort for very little payback.

Technically speaking, having an undo feature would be very hard to create but i'd imagine the magnetic feature will help fix most of the problems.

The same goes for the map shaping. It would be too complicated to create for the forge, and the amount of people that would use it would be fairly low. I personally prefer building on a predefined surface. Otherwise i'd always be making flat maps.

I'd also like the texture surface effects, add some life to the dull reach colours. I think halo 4 has different colour objects now...i hope so anyway.

Forge mode maps are all I see in reach, there's a load in the matchmaking hopper. I think the integration in reach could be toned down a bit :P

Technically speaking, having an undo feature would be very hard to create but i'd imagine the magnetic feature will help fix most of the problems.

I can't see why an undo would be so difficult, but i hope the "magnetize" feature magnetises the new object in relation to the previously placed one, rather than to the overall grid. It's only a tiny nitpick, but i often found the grid got in the way in reach as much as it helped, and there were a couple of strange bugs that made stuff not line up exactly right when you reloaded it after saving, which (if you're a perfectionist/obsessive compulsive like i am) is annoying
    The same goes for the map shaping. It would be too complicated to create for the forge, and the amount of people that would use it would be fairly low. I personally prefer building on a predefined surface. Otherwise i'd always be making flat maps.

Other PC based map editors have had it for years. I'd like a wider range of prefabricated landscape building block objects at least, Readymade hills, grass platforms, roads, tree banks, etc would be great., and would expand on readymade rocks and stones objects in reach forge which were used for far more than they were designed for. More objects that would help to create hills, caves, underground sections, cliffs, walls, etc would add an extra dimension to the stuff people could create.
    Forge mode maps are all I see in reach, there's a load in the matchmaking hopper. I think the integration in reach could be toned down a bit :P

I think there are loads of maps, but very few quality ones that have had a lot of thought put into balance and weapon placement, rather than just aesthetics. I like forging completely original maps, but the only good ones I've seen are ones that use the landscape in reach. Once i see a completely from scratch one built out of those grey blocks, it could be the best map in the world, but I'm already turned off by the way it looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

I can't see why an undo would be so difficult, but i hope the "magnetize" feature magnetises the new object in relation to the previously placed one, rather than to the overall grid. It's only a tiny nitpick, but i often found the grid got in the way in reach as much as it helped, and there were a couple of strange bugs that made stuff not line up exactly right when you reloaded it after saving, which (if you're a perfectionist/obsessive compulsive like i am) is annoying

It would just demand too much on the game and it would severely impact the game's performance. Maybe we will have it for halo 5 on the next gen console. It's hard to tell if the magnetic feature will completely remove that problem that's in reach but it'll certainly alleviate some of the stress.
    Other PC based map editors have had it for years. I'd like a wider range of prefabricated landscape building block objects at least, Readymade hills, grass platforms, roads, tree banks, etc would be great., and would expand on readymade rocks and stones objects in reach forge which were used for far more than they were designed for. More objects that would help to create hills, caves, underground sections, cliffs, walls, etc would add an extra dimension to the stuff people could create.

I know that there were other PC map editors, Halo 2 map editor for example. An editor like that is just not feasible on a console with controllers, it would be just too complicated/ slow that only people with extreme patience would use them.

I like your idea of prefabricated objects though, that would be amazing.
    I think there are loads of maps, but very few quality ones that have had a lot of thought put into balance and weapon placement, rather than just aesthetics. I like forging completely original maps, but the only good ones I've seen are ones that use the landscape in reach. Once i see a completely from scratch one built out of those grey blocks, it could be the best map in the world, but I'm already turned off by the way it looks.

Ya, I suppose you're right in a way. But that's always been the way with forged maps, since halo 3. We just have to learn to adapt to the maps though. I'd love if 343 just ported all the maps from the previous halo games.

I'd love if 343 just ported all the maps from the previous halo games.

That would be incredible. I'd settle for about 10 or 15 of the best ones though, some of the remakes they have released in the past were great.

For anyone who'se interested, the best 3 maps i forged in reach are on my file share below. I'd be grateful for any feedback or likes on any of them, and i can add more screenshots if anyone wants to see them.

All 3 are symetrical maps good for team slayer, KOTH, headhunter, crazy king, etc, and jetpacks are good on most of them because there's a lot of stuff going on on different levels. Crossfire is a great CQB map, Grav base is good for team slayer, and the one below is just fun for FFA with jetpacks.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileShare.aspx?player=MackDaddi

Stargazer

Screenshot.ashx?fid=3957186&size=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MacNaBola_94Xx

Best forge map guys ???

Advertisement