Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Inner Barrel and Hopup

Options
  • 10-07-2012 10:09am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Just came across this on the KWA forums.

http://kwausa.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4787

Now perhaps I am mistaken but I have ALWAYS used silicon oil to clean my inner barrel. Has anyone else ever heard this technique of using water? Or have I been living under a rock? Seems to make sense!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

never use silicon oil myself as the hop works on friction and you start throwing oil in there and it does tits up :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭War Machine 539

This guy says even the barrel though which struck me as odd! I have tried it anyway be interesting to see what, if any effect it has!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

makes sense, airsoft performance tbh is all about consistency , by using oil on the barrel/hop you change the conditions within the barrel which will change the behavior of your bbs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Yeah likewise I never use silicone oil, its a lubricant not a cleaner, and puding hit it on the head with the friction thing. Not the mention the effects it can have on some hop up rubbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

People use silicone oil to loosen dirt off of the barrel because they know its rubber/plastic friendly. Personally I just use a small amount of water on the cloth - does the same job; loosens the dirt enough to clear it out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Leeroy!

Puding wrote: »
    never use silicon oil myself as the hop works on friction and you start throwing oil in there and it does tits up :p

after a mag or two though it starts to work a treat. Also i think the silicon might be better at lubing the inside of a tight bore - may not apply so much to a standard 6.08

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

The problem is any 'lube' just gives any dirt, grit or dust something to cling onto, which means the next time you go to clean your barrel you will find more dirt etc.

You are far better off just using a moist cloth; you help loosen the dirt, and then feed dry cloth down until one emerges clean :).

For most people, as I mentioned earlier, Silicone oil is a nice happy rubber/plastic safe material, so people feel comfortable using it on their AEG's. Logic says that oil on part that works solely on friction = big no, but if people are happy enough having to run a couple of mags through before performance returns and to have to clean the barrel more regularly, and don't mind doing the above knowing that there are better ways of doing it, then leave 'em to it :)

Advertisement