Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Multi-Stage online bookings with Irish Rail?

• 10-07-2012 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to book a multi-stage journey online with Irish Rail? I've used the website a fair bit and can't remember ever seeing the option. I'm looking to head Dublin-Thurles on Saturday, then on to Cork on either Saturday evening or Sunday morning, and back to Dublin on Sunday evening from Cork.

As it is, do I have to book three separate times, and pay the transaction fee every time? Or am I missing something?

Thanks,
    MJS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭River Song

Hi MJS,

From what I can tell you'd have to book it in 3 separate goes unfortunately.

If you can buy at Heuston the "Dublin - Cork Open Return", I'm wondering would that cover you for the 3 journeys, or would it just do for the Dublin - Thurles / Cork Dublin portion of the journey? Might be worth calling IÉ over it!

M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

River Song wrote: »
    Hi MJS,

From what I can tell you'd have to book it in 3 separate goes unfortunately.

If you can buy at Heuston the "Dublin - Cork Open Return", I'm wondering would that cover you for the 3 journeys, or would it just do for the Dublin - Thurles / Cork Dublin portion of the journey? Might be worth calling IÉ over it!

M

I'll give them a shout tomorrow, thanks. Any idea what an open return ticket to Cork might cost me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You just need to book one open return to Cork, if you travel out to Cork on Saturday you are entitled to a break in journey which you would take in Thurles, You then continue on to Cork on Saturday evening or you can have an overnight stay as long as you continue your journey in the morning on the first available service. You can then use the return from cork to Dublin in the normal manner or you can also take a break in journey on that leg of the trip.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/ConditionsOfTravel1.pdf

section A. 8.
    8. Break of journey
    8.1 Except as may be specified in the publications and notices of and applicable
    to Iarnród Éireann, the holder of an single ticket may break his or her journey
    at intermediate stations on any route for which the ticket is valid within the
    period of validity of the ticket.
    8.2 Except as may be specified in the publications and notices of and applicable
    to Iarnród Éireann, the holder of an return ticket may break his or her journey
    at intermediate stations on any route for which the ticket is valid, provided the
    journey is completed within the same calendar day, except where the
    timetable does not permit, in which latter case the journey must be
    completed on the next available service.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    I'll give them a shout tomorrow, thanks. Any idea what an open return ticket to Cork might cost me?

An open return costs €77 and can only be purchased at the station.
    http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=118&n=197&a=266

You might be better buying three online tickets. If you book today the cost would be:
    Dublin - Thurles €17.99
    Thurles - Cork €22.99 (Sat) / €12.99 (Sun)
    Cork - Dublin € 22.99

That includes booking fees. As the week progresses that will become more expensive.

Advertisement