Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood donation/bone marrow recruitment!

Options
  • 09-07-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hey all, the bone marrow recruitment nurse will attend the blood donation clinic on tuesday 17th of July in the Kilmurray Lodge Hotel. This is your opportunity to join the unrelated bone marrow register & possibly save a life. You can contact mark odwyer on 014322836 so the nurse will know to expect u. All it is is a sample of blood. Please attend even if it is to donate a pint of your healthy blood.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

My other half actually signed up to the blood marrow donation online a few weeks ago but hasn't been contacted to give a sample yet (he gives blood every quarter),should he go along anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

What does bone marrow recruitment entail. I give blood on a semi regular basis, but have never been asked about giving bone marrow.

Does it get taken and stock piled or is it a case by case thing where a matching donor is called from a register when needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bubbles09

Kess73 wrote: »
    What does bone marrow recruitment entail. I give blood on a semi regular basis, but have never been asked about giving bone marrow.

Does it get taken and stock piled or is it a case by case thing where a matching donor is called from a register when needed?

Hi ya it's just a sample before u donate ur blood to test ur HLA & if u are a match for anyone ul b contacted. Probably never will be but at least ur on the database for someone who might need a transplant. I had a bone marrow transplant last July 2011 but I had no match so they previously stored my healthy marrow and that was my only option. Even just attend the clinic to donate blood if possible I can't stress enough how important it is! Give mark odwyer a ring.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Bubbles, would you mind not using text-speak in your posts? Instead of u/ur/ul/b, etc. Thanks.

Sorry habit!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

I also am a donor of blood and registered on line two years ago and heard nothing ...............................

if you attend the clinic and go to the unrelated bone marrow registry part, the nurse will take a blood sample and you will then be on the list of donors, my cousin only did it two weeks ago. ring mark odwyer 014322836 and just let him know you will be attending. you can also donate blood the same evening if you like?!

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Why is there only one marrow clinic in Limerick?

well i only know about the nurse attending the one in limerick because that is where i am from. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

The bone marrow clinics are scheduled in various parts of the country throughout the year. The bone marrow nurse travels to the venues from their base in the National Blood Centre, Dublin, as there are no regional bone marrow centres. All the testing is done in Dublin, where the records are kept, but the blood samples and forms are done at each venue when the bone marrow nurse is there, so you don't have to travel to Dublin.
    As Bubbles09 said, to go on the register, it is only one test tube sample of blood, only if you are a match will they contact you. usually regular blood donors take the option to go on the register, as they are giving blood anyway.
    You can get all the info on www.giveblood.ie
    Check the guidelines online and have a good meal and plenty to drink before you come. The staff will look after you and the other donors are sociable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Never gave blood before but it's something I've always wanted to do, just haven't had the opportunity. Are the out in the Lodge all day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    Never gave blood before but it's something I've always wanted to do, just haven't had the opportunity. Are the out in the Lodge all day?

They are going to be there from 6 PM to 9 PM.

http://giveblood.ie/Where_to_Give_Blood/Limerick_Centre/Limerick/Castletroy_17Jul.html

Giving blood is one of the best things you could do. It is relatively painless and you are saving lives by doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Limericks wrote: »
    Giving blood is one of the best things you could do. It is relatively painless and you are saving lives by doing it!

Wise words there!! I have been eligable to give blood for the last 3 years or so but only starting doing it back in Janurary when my gf dragged me along! I think it was fear of the unkown that had stopped me until then! In reality its absolutly nothing what-so-ever to be worried about, you hardly even feel it!!

Advertisement