Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 09-07-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hi there!!

Hope this is in the right forum... Move if needed!

So basically, I am facing a bit of a 'life transition' if you will. After 24 years of my parents looking after all my hospital appointments etc...(I have AVMs), I now have to grow up and take over my own health care.

This is hugely scary for me. I'm surprised at how little I actually know about my own condition!

Anyways, the last time I saw my consultant, he basically told me to suffer with my condition and not from it.... But lately it is acting up hugely! Am on 1000mg ponstan most days (this is a lot for me), and the AVMs seem to be like....growing or something!

So my question, is this - can I ring my consultants secretary directly to get an appointment with him? Or do I have to go through my GP?

Apologies for the long post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Redmal

The best person to ask is your consultants secretary. She (or he!!) will advise you on whether you need a GP referral or not. If you do need a referral then just get on to your GP and ask for one. You may have to wait a while for an appointment to see your consultant so just check that maybe there is nothing your GP can do for you in the mean time to help.

Hope this helps and good luck with being grown up and all!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

Yeah, I finally found her number so I'll give her a ring tomorrow! thanks for your advice - and sorry if I sound like a kid lol!

Advertisement