Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Buying seeds for a survival situation we should be buying Heirloom seeds ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

not all hybrids produce sterile seeds.

One would also want to look for seed with a bred in resistance to disease, for example there is now a blight resistant potatoe, well worth having in Ireland.

Its possible to save seeds from many ordinary varieties in garden centres without them being special heirloom seeds. That being said, I think saving heirloom species is a great thing to do.

However for my survival seed bank i include more than heirloom varieties, so as to have a broad range to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

bonniebede wrote: »
    not all hybrids produce sterile seeds.

One would also want to look for seed with a bred in resistance to disease, for example there is now a blight resistant potatoe, well worth having in Ireland.

Its possible to save seeds from many ordinary varieties in garden centres without them being special heirloom seeds. That being said, I think saving heirloom species is a great thing to do.

However for my survival seed bank i include more than heirloom varieties, so as to have a broad range to choose from.

Seems to be a common misconception which is soon dispelled the following year when you have all those wild hybrid second generation seedlings popping up all over your garden. Even some of the so called heritage varieties are just old hybrid cultivars re-marketed as heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Yes not all Hybrid seeds are sterile but alot can be.
    Seeds from the hybrid cant be saved and grown the following year with know results.
    Also the plants may not be strong or productive.
    If Hybrid seeds are grown with heirloom and the plants pollinate wont you get hybrid seeds.?
    Maybe best if after disaster grow hybrid on year 1 and heirloom on year 2.
    Then collect seeds from year 2 onwards?
    I'll keep hybrid for for the fruit trees where saving seeds not a priority and heirloom for the seed bank.

Discuss..

Advertisement