Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty wooden windows

Options
  • 09-07-2012 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I got wooden windows installed about two years about by a joiners in xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Since they were we installed there have been major issues especially in severe weather. Water is sitting in sliding mechanic parts and causing dampness on the inside walls.

As per the attached photos when the windows were first installed a gap of about 1.5inches was visible between the bottom of the windows and the outer sill, which looked like it was causing the water/dampness problem. The company then put a wooden slip on to prevent this. it made no difference and in severe wind and rain the dampness quickly reappears on the inner walls.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. This 'family-run' company are saying the have gone into liquidation and are not responsible or liable, even though the shop is still open.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

Just wondering was there any kind of rubber seal or something similar installed in either the frame or the window itself,i couldn't see in the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 spartafc

hi, there is a rubber seal, i have highlighted it in the attached image

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭carpenter23

ah i see now,it's hard to tell exactly what the problem could be without physically looking at it ,but from the pic with the dampness in the wall it could be that there is no dpc under the window itself but that would be only part of the problem,i'd suggest if you know anybody in the business or even just asked a carpenter or joiner to have a look it would be no harm they could probably identify the problem.Although the fact the company has washed their hands of it says to me that they knew it was a bad job ,but i'm only speculating as i don't know the company or their work.Hope this helps!:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Spartafc, with all due regard to the problems you are having with your windows, its unfair to name the company, as it may expose the forum to possible issues relating to your problems with the product.

I think you would be better advised for yourself to seek your own solicitors advice, on the issue, if its legal opinions you are seeking here now. As you are aware we dont offer legal advice.

If its a solution you are looking for regarding weatherproofing the windows in the short term, thats ok. But please refrain from any comments relating to the company, or your dealings with them. If you do, this thread will be closed.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 40 chrismartin4u

Hello Sparta!! As shown in pictures your problem seems to be very critical. I think you should contact to the company which installed your windows or you can also hire private Home windows repairman.

• Advertisement
Advertisement