Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor Niland Retired..

Options
  • 09-07-2012 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

This completely passed me by!

I had no idea until now (didn't see a thread for it when using forum search tool).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conor_Niland

"He officially announced his retirement from tennis on 12 April 2012 due to a reoccurring hip injury.[3] In a statement Niland said: "I am today sadly announcing my retirement from professional tennis. I have been suffering from labral tears in both hip cartilages and this has resulted in pain and restricted movement for the past nine months."

Anyway, a belated good luck to you Conor in your future projects.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Yeah I heard it. But to be fair the first time I'd ever heard of him was when he faced Djokovic in the USO there a while back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Yeah , he had a good year last year qualifying for Wimbledon and the US open.
    He went out in the 1st round in both , USA to djokovic and in wimby he was 4-1 up in he 5th to meet Federer in the 2nd round .... shame ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Say that hurts so bad it would be something else to say you played arguably the greatest player to play the game in Wimbledon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

His match against Adrian Mannarino at Wimbledon last year was unreal!!! Court 16 I think, packed out!! And dozens of people standing around the court. Flags and jerseys everywhere...you'd think he was back in Dublin!

Never experienced an atmosphere like that at a tennis match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

RosyLily wrote: »
    His match against Adrian Mannarino at Wimbledon last year was unreal!!! Court 16 I think, packed out!! And dozens of people standing around the court. Flags and jerseys everywhere...you'd think he was back in Dublin!

Never experienced an atmosphere like that at a tennis match.

Would have loved to be there, was gutted when he lost that 4-1 lead in the 5th,
    Imagine what that would have done for Irish tennis ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

It would haven been pretty hype alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Wouldn't it be class if even a top 100 standard Irish player was on the tour or emerged in a couple of years. If Cyprus, Kazakhstan and even Scotland (!!!) had top players at Wimbledon, why shouldn't we :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MtPleasantLTC

Good news for all you Conor Niland fans!!!
    He will be playing in Mount Pleasant Tennis Club next Tuesday 17th July 6pm-8pm against Barry King & Mario Rosenstock in a charity exhibition match in aid of Goal!! There will be a Q&A session afterwards & you should be able to meet/have a chat with him.
    Everyone welcome, you don't need to be a member!
    Poster available on our website & facebook page (can't post link here so you'll have to google it)
    Ciara

Advertisement