Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cigarette price reduction

Options
  • 09-07-2012 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Just noticed in my local Daybreak that the price of several brands of cigarette have reduced ranging from 3%-12% reduction something to do with RSP reduction. Usually any increase or reduction in prices is something media pick up on.

MOD NOTE: Thread is now in the Smoking forum (Moved from After Hours) and different rules apply. Check the charter. If your post is missing it's because it is in breach of the Smoking fourm charter and I've removed it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Who (aside from the OP apparently) goes in to a shop and asks about the price of several brands? And when have cig prices ever gone down?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

JeffK88 wrote: »
    Just noticed in my local Daybreak that the price of several brands of cigarette have reduced ranging from 3%-12% reduction something to do with RSP reduction. Usually any increase or reduction in prices is something media pick up on.

You must be amazingly good at maths to have all those prices memorised and be able to work out the percentages while in there!

do you work in your local daybreak?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Who (aside from the OP apparently) goes in to a shop and asks about the price of several brands? And when have cig prices ever gone down?
    Sauve wrote: »
    You must be amazingly good at maths to have all those prices memorised and be able to work out the percentages while in there!

If its like the shop beside my job, then they have a sign over the cigarette counter informing of the brands and their reductions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

What's a daybreak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

smash wrote: »
    What's a daybreak?

When the sun rises in thd morning and bring light to the land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Roadend wrote: »
    When the sun rises in thd morning and bring light to the land

Light, smokes and information about the percentage reduction in the cost of said smokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Actually, I had noticed smoke prices going down. They've gone down on brands that I don't smoke, but there are signs on all the smoke machines in the shops I go to, stating the new, lower prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Who (aside from the OP apparently) goes in to a shop and asks about the price of several brands?
    Actually, I do. Well for cigars anyway. Do I win a prize?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

This thread just makes me want to smoke. BRB. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

OldGoat wrote: »
    Actually, I do. Well for cigars anyway. Do I win a prize?
    Can't say I've ever been much of a cigar smoker, or know enough cigar smokers to be able to have any knowledge on trends cigar smokers tend to have when making their purchases. With cigs, people largely have their brand which they'll buy.

There isn't a price checking numerous brands to decide which one that day. I know no smoker who would do such a thing, and I've never encountered anyone price checking when working retail. So, the concept of people going in and price checking different brand of cigs? Was curious to see if others would say they do the same thing.

With you cigar smoking, is it because you don't have a brand? Or different brands depending on mood? I'm not familiar with a cigar smoking mindset or habits in the same way I would be with cig smoking, as I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Can't say I've ever been much of a cigar smoker, or know enough cigar smokers to be able to have any knowledge on trends cigar smokers tend to have when making their purchases. With cigs, people largely have their brand which they'll buy.

There isn't a price checking numerous brands to decide which one that day. I know no smoker who would do such a thing, and I've never encountered anyone price checking when working retail. So, the concept of people going in and price checking different brand of cigs? Was curious to see if others would say they do the same thing.

With you cigar smoking, is it because you don't have a brand? Or different brands depending on mood? I'm not familiar with a cigar smoking mindset or habits in the same way I would be with cig smoking, as I say.

Slightly OT but buying different cigars is part of the pleasure, a bit like trying different wines or trying different beers. Cigar prices also fluctuate between sources so price checking is normal. This is something cigarette smkers would do in the past but not so much anymore. They would have breakfast/early morning brands, evening brands, mild, strong and so on. Advertising and marketing 'branded' us to stick to the one tobacco blend.

Meanwhile, back on topic...What if the OP regulary buys two or three different brands? His own brand, his wifes/gf/bf, his flatmates. That would give him reason enough to recognise the prices and to recognise a trend in price fall across a few brands.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Just to let youse know, Carrolls cig range go UP this week. And gallaghers range go up in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

What brands have gone down?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There's very little difference in the prices I thought, barring 1 or 2 "budget" brands. Far more competition in the North.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

What are the cheapest cigarettes anyways? Pall Mall at about €8 are the cheapest I've come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

JeffK88 wrote: »

The Irish Government were instructed last year by the European Commission to initiate price reductions on Cigarettes by 2013 after the Tobacco industry initiated legal proceedings against the Irish state for consistently raising the price of their product which is seen as being uncompetitive and illegal.

Expect to see a number of brands coming down in price over the course of the year.

Most brand have also brought out "Special ranges" or alternative ranges of their product which through a loophole can be priced at a lower bracket.

For example John Player "Specials" are Red, Silver and Gold are the same as John Player Blue, Light Blue and another type, yet retail at nearly €2 cheaper.

And its about time aswell, for far too long the State has been cleaning up from smokers getting massive revenue and putting out the age old bull**** of its to try deter people from smoking. When its clearly a racket to generate revenue from the VAT.

As with the Sony and movie industry lawsuits our Government are pretty weak when it comes to being sued and buckled fast. Another impending lawsuit is the legal ban of smaller sized packets in Ireland. (Most countries you can avail of 10 pack, 15 pack and 30 pack) which will hopefully also overturn the stupid ban.

The excuse for banning the 10packs was some made up statistic about children smoking 10 packs of cigarettes, when challenged by the Tobacco industry these "facts and statistics" where never made viewable. And as correctly pointed out by anyone with half a brain, enforcing the sale of 20 packs only massively increased Government revenue from the VAT on sale of cigarettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Moved to Smoking from After Hours.

Mod Note:
    Please note that the smoking forum charter and the after hours forum charter ARE different and we are quick to Ban people for breaches of the charter.
    Oh, welcome to any newcomers. :)
    OldGoat.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

I did not go in and ask about this just to let ye all know there was a big notice up on the wall stating all the changes in price and various reductions. I myself am not a smoker and was merely pointing out that there was a price reduction that was mentioned nowhere. And apologies for posting it in wrong forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Take no notice of them. :)

tHB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Pall Mall gone up 15c

SimonLynch wrote: »
    Pall Mall gone up 15c

When was this? I bought a pack of them today (ick, but I was broke!), and they were €7.80 as usual.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

They went up today. expect to see the increase this week everywhere. All the silk cuts and benson go up next month.

They went up today. expect to see the increase this week everywhere. All the silk cuts and benson go up next month.

Oh ffs, I already pay 9.10 for a pack of Silk Cuts. :(

Back to Pall Mall I go. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SimonLynch

Yesterday (which I thought peculiar).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

I noticed that Pall Malls are under €9. Does anyone know tar/nicotine content of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

smash wrote: »
    What's a daybreak?

shight program replacing GMTV on ITV

I noticed that Pall Malls are under €9. Does anyone know tar/nicotine content of them?

If I remember correctly, the silver ones are 0.4 nicotine, the blue ones are 0.7 and the red are 0.9 or 1. No idea of tar content, I'm off the smokes several months now. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Thanks. Whilst buying a pack of Marlboro the worker in the garage pointed to the price reduction list and I saw the Pall Malls were cheapest. I might try the Reds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement