Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organising stage show- issue with venue

Options
  • 09-07-2012 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I am organising a stage show to be held in September in a relatively well known venue.
    The venue have just advised me that they have a contracted videographer in the venue, so if I want the performance recorded I have to use this particular woman. The trouble is, she has a reputation for.. not being good at her job!

Do you know if I have to accept the venue's conditions of this videographer (who, incidentally, wants us to pay her directly, so really we're just being forced into this by the venue but it's a private contract she wants us to provide) or can I allow the venue to record whatever they want, and also bring my own person/people in to record the show the way I want them to?

Has anyone else had experience with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭BlueValkyrie

Is the stipulation about using the venue's videographer mentioned in your contract? If not, I would certainly try to negotiate using your own. Bear in mind also that there may be stipulations about losing a few audience seats due to the position of a tripod for a camera etc.

Also, I am not an expert in copyright law (or any kind of law), but I would check first if videographers own any footage that they take, and what rights you have to its reproduction etc. Any friends or family who are law savvy who you can ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Did you discover any more since about your rights in this issue OP? Interesting conundrum. If the venue is a well-known one as you say, I'm guessing it must often host shows by fairly high-profile acts and I can't see many of those consenting to being video-ed by someone who wasn't fully competent. So perhaps venue is just bullying you over the matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Unfortunately haven't been able to get more information- nothing like it online so I'm guessing it's not common practice! Yeah not major concerts but big enough ones-I think it could be the venue throwing its weight around a bit so I'm gonna look into it a bit more!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

I have friends who work in theatre/venue management, I'll ask if any of them have come across this and get back to you over the weekend if they can shed any light on the matter.

Advertisement