Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling My First Ever Website?

Options
  • 09-07-2012 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi there, I'm doing a software and web development course in college, now going into second year and I got bored one night during the start of summer... Anyway a new nightclub opened up near me and i decided to make them a website, I got in contact with them and they said they really liked my design and might want to buy it from me... My question is what would a good price to sell it at be? Here is the link to the preview if you want to take a look.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 paul.

cirx08 wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm doing a software and web development course in college, now going into second year and I got bored one night during the start of summer... Anyway a new nightclub opened up near me and i decided to make them a website, I got in contact with them and they said they really liked my design and might want to buy it from me... My question is what would a good price to sell it at be? Here is the link to the preview if you want to take a look.

Thanks in advance :)
    400euro
    Thats what my brother sells his sites for, well easy ones like that one.
    If there was more to it then cost is more. But as its your first then its best get it sold for a fair price and get the reference and portfolio out of it.

how long did it take

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cirx08

paul. wrote: »
    400euro
    Thats what my brother sells his sites for, well easy ones like that one.
    If there was more to it then cost is more. But as its your first then its best get it sold for a fair price and get the reference and portfolio out of it.

how long did it take

Really €400, would someone actually pay that much? It seems a lot to me? and about 2-3 hours one night, was good fun making it :P

well thats what he sells them for too and he can make them in a few hours on windows or half hour on the mac book.
    You should ask for 400 and if you thnk thats too much let them hagle you down. Also possibilty of doing webmaster for them for a small weekly or monthlyu fee depending on how often they want update etc.
    It all depends on how much the client want to pay and the standard they can get for that. If your new to this then you will probably underprice yourself.

well thats what he sells them for too and he can make them in a few hours on windows or half hour on the mac book.
    You should ask for 400 and if you thnk thats too much let them hagle you down. Also possibilty of doing webmaster for them for a small weekly or monthlyu fee depending on how often they want update etc.
    It all depends on how much the client want to pay and the standard they can get for that. If your new to this then you will probably underprice yourself.

But what if all i'll be doing is giving them a copy of all my files and then they will use their own hosting and domain because they already have that? But if they are doing the weekly gallery thing they'll most likely need me to do that for them for maybe what about €20 - €50 a week? but is that too high seeing as how they will need to higher a photographer to take the pictures too?

make them an offer of 400 and go from there. If they say too high then drop, simple. If you offer them a website for a hundred euro there gonna jump on it no prob ye, but trust me, if there is any problems that arise with it in the future then they will be expecting you to sort it for free.
    You are not charging for doing the site, you are charging for noing how to do it properly.

• Advertisement

make them an offer of 400 and go from there. If they say too high then drop, simple. If you offer them a website for a hundred euro there gonna jump on it no prob ye, but trust me, if there is any problems that arise with it in the future then they will be expecting you to sort it for free.
    You are not charging for doing the site, you are charging for noing how to do it properly.

I'm afraid tho that suggesting €400 might scare them off :/

Offer them it for 300 so, either way they are gonna haggle you down a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The design is fine but there's problems with the execution, some significant:

The logo should be sharper.
    The gallery popups are too big for my screen
    There's no map or exterior photo
    There's no proper contact page. Directing users to twitter or facebook does not suffice in this regard
    For sites like this there should be a content management system. Having clients coming back to you for straightforward changes doesn't really cut it these days. A CMS will not be possible with the way the site is coded up which is just plain bizarre.

Try to redo the site using something like WordPress or in proper code which you can insert editable content areas.

Then you can you can justify price points around the €400 mark. As is, it is only a look and feel which needs work on the execution.

tricky D wrote: »
    The design is fine but there's problems with the execution, some significant:

The logo should be sharper.
    The gallery popups are too big for my screen
    There's no map or exterior photo
    There's no proper contact page. Directing users to twitter or facebook does not suffice in this regard
    For sites like this there should be a content management system. Having clients coming back to you for straightforward changes doesn't really cut it these days. A CMS will not be possible with the way the site is coded up which is just plain bizarre.

Try to redo the site using something like WordPress or in proper code which you can insert editable content areas.

Then you can you can justify price points around the €400 mark. As is, it is only a look and feel which needs work on the execution.

I know there are still some problems but its still in development, The logo will be fixed and as for the contact page, that was all the information I could get from their pages so when I get a phone number and email and stuff like that it will be added... and for the edible area's they don't have a database, I could have made an admin panel on my own server but if I was to give it to them i'm not sure if their hosting supports PHP and stuff like that and I also never used Wordpress before I just code using Notepad++

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Drop the "encrypted" source code, not everyone uses JavaScript and it takes about 2 seconds using a tool to dechipher. (Aswell as slowing page load times down significantly.). Agreed with the above a CMS like wordpress/joomla is the way to go. You could possibly use your current theme and execute it well with wordpress, look into wordpress theming (its not all that complex) and use the stock theme as a framework. If you do a Wordpress site then €400 sounds reasonable to me.
    Edit: Regarding above tell the clients to contact their host to activate php/mysql on the account, not using a CMS these days is bizarre, even though post promoting will probably done trough twitter/fb its no harm giving them the option of authoring content.

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Drop the "encrypted" source code, not everyone uses JavaScript and it takes about 2 seconds using a tool to dechipher. (Aswell as slowing page load times down significantly.). Agreed with the above a CMS like wordpress/joomla is the way to go. You could possibly use your current theme and execute it well with wordpress, look into wordpress theming (its not all that complex) and use the stock theme as a framework. If you do a Wordpress site then €400 sounds reasonable to me.
    Edit: Regarding above tell the clients to contact their host to activate php/mysql on the account, not using a CMS these days is bizarre, even though post promoting will probably done trough twitter/fb its no harm giving them the option of authoring content.

Nick

No the encryption isn't in the original files it was just there for this thread... and i'll look into Wordpress when I get some time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

A database is not required for a few CMS like CushyCMS and PageLime iirc. You just add an extra css class to the div you want to make editable. It is really really easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Just on a side note, I'd mention to them to change their email to info@domainname.com. Had a look at your site, and seen they use gmail (presume that's their actually contact address) and if it doesn't come across as professional to direct customer enquiries to a gmail account, set up domain mail and handle it through google apps. Just some advice.

I'd heavily echo the recommendation to use a CMS such as Wordpress also, or any CMS, it's inefficient for them to to have to return to you week in and week out. Plus being a nightclub/pub they could wish to post up new promo photos every so often, you don't want to have to worry about that, a CMS provides an efficient and clean user friendly way to update their content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

as a designer this is just my 2 cents

<h1>home page</h1>
    different font and color for main nav up the top try Verdana
    make the button sizes bigger so when you hover they cover a little more area looks smoother
    the image scroller is rather squashed increase the height by around 200px
    Again with main body watch your font needs to look smooth and sexy if its a night club.

Events page
    good layout try a smaller font size and different font, make it pure white no mid greys looks weird on a grey background
    try have facebook event links

About Page
    No real need for this page, you could cover that in the events and home page.

Gallery
    good but again watch fonts. Try organize into a single thumbnail for each date which will open into a larger gallery.

contact page

good but try find a contact form somewhere that you can just rip the source code.

Overall

you have a very dark background color looks like pure black watch that against the greys that your using on your main page you want this to look slick, if your going for gradients try white to black, also try add in some blue's they tend to work well against black on a website.

Hope this helps, atm i wouldn't offer 400 possibly around €100 for it, codings good works well but its not nice looking enough yet. Fix all that that i've mentioned i'd say it'd be worth about €250

as a designer this is just my 2 cents

<h1>home page</h1>
    different font and color for main nav up the top try Verdana
    make the button sizes bigger so when you hover they cover a little more area looks smoother
    the image scroller is rather squashed increase the height by around 200px
    Again with main body watch your font needs to look smooth and sexy if its a night club.

Events page
    good layout try a smaller font size and different font, make it pure white no mid greys looks weird on a grey background
    try have facebook event links

About Page
    No real need for this page, you could cover that in the events and home page.

Gallery
    good but again watch fonts. Try organize into a single thumbnail for each date which will open into a larger gallery.

contact page

good but try find a contact form somewhere that you can just rip the source code.

Overall

you have a very dark background color looks like pure black watch that against the greys that your using on your main page you want this to look slick, if your going for gradients try white to black, also try add in some blue's they tend to work well against black on a website.

Hope this helps, atm i wouldn't offer 400 possibly around €100 for it, codings good works well but its not nice looking enough yet. Fix all that that i've mentioned i'd say it'd be worth about €250

I'm not changing the layout because the club owner said he loved it and it was just what he was looking for, as for the gallery and sorting them into albums i'm way ahead of you I just need to figure out how to make a thumbnail that has the date and looks good and that should be done, as for the contact form the guy said he didn't want anything complicated and i'm not sure if his hosting even supports php and all the "About" and other pages are really only there because the website looked too empty without them :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Right so, telling you it'll look smoother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

...and he can make them in a few hours on windows or half hour on the mac book.
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

cirx08 wrote: »
    I'm not changing the layout because the club owner said he loved it and it was just what he was looking for

Did he look very far?

smash wrote: »
    Did he look very far?

I'm not really sure, he had one up which was basically just a temporary thing but it was his friend he originally asked to do it but I got really bored one night and did it and sent it to him to pass the time :L

Advertisement