Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browser Choice.Ink

Options
  • 08-07-2012 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,152 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone come across this? A Skype friend came on and the first thing I saw was a file being sent from her, so I clicked it to download. I was going to open it when I saw the title as above and that it was an exe file. She is a bit technologically challenged and I was surprised that she had even figured out how to send a file, so I asked her what it was. She said she hadn't sent anything. My virus checker didn't catch it (Avira).

So, is it suspect? It definitely came from her computer. I have never seen Skype do anything like that.

Edit, bit more googling and I have sorted it I think. Never heard of .Ink documents, she must have sent it accidentally.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

.lnk is for program shortcuts, check the extension of anything on your desktop background and you will have them.

She said she hadn't sent anything. My virus checker didn't catch it (Avira).

So, is it suspect? It definitely came from her computer. I have never seen Skype do anything like that.
    If she didn't send anything then its definitely a virus. Messenger programs like Skype and MSN do this sort of thing a lot. Also the fact that the file was .lnk.exe is hugely suspicious

I'd get your friend to run a MBAM quick scan

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭infodox

PM me the sample in a .zip file with password "infected" if you can. Have been looking for a sample of malware that actually does spread via Skype to dissect. It will also be submitted to malware.lu database for other people to look at :)

Advertisement