Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 3 Series 318 I SE

Options
  • 08-07-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Anyone have any experience with the BMW 318i, in terms of engine or mechanical issues, i am thinking about getting one but have no real experience with them or any BMW for that matter , i was looking at ones between 2005-2007 seem to be reasonably priced but just want to know what i could be getting myself into.
    Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The most common problem on that 3 Series (E90) are the ABS/traction control module. The ABS and Traction Control warning symbols will be on the dashboard if it is faulty. Thankfully BMW supply a repair solution at a fraction of the price of a new module (circa €900).

Suspension is another weak point so have a good poke around underneath it and check the condition of the tyres ie uneven wear.

Another common problem is the heater/blower matrix, the final stage resistor (nicknamed hedgehog) can be faulty on them, you can usually hear a load whistling from the fan when you put the blower on high.

Also a common problem is the windscreen washer system gets blocked, it is an awkward design and is located next to the front wing. Happened to mine and had to get it taken out and cleanned out. The part itself is cheap enough but it is a pain to get at.

Not too familar with the 318i petrol engine myself but the pre Efficent Dynamic ones seem to be solid enough. Efficent Dynamic models appeared in late 2007 and can be very troublesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 shoddyatbest

bazz26 wrote: »
    The most common problem on that 3 Series (E90) are the ABS/traction control module. The ABS and Traction Control warning symbols will be on the dashboard if it is faulty. Thankfully BMW supply a <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#"><a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#"><a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#"><a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">repair</a></a></a></a> solution at a fraction of the price of a new module (circa €900).

Suspension is another weak point so have a good poke around underneath it and check the condition of the tyres ie uneven wear.

Another common problem is the <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#"><a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#"><a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">heater</a></a></a>/blower matrix, the final stage resistor (nicknamed hedgehog) can be faulty on them, you can usually hear a load whistling from the fan when you put the blower on high.

Also a common problem is the windscreen washer system gets blocked, it is an awkward design and is located next to the front wing. Happened to mine and had to get it taken out and cleanned out. The part itself is cheap enough but it is a pain to get at.

Not too familar with the 318i petrol engine myself but the pre Efficent Dynamic ones seem to be solid enough. Efficent Dynamic models appeared in late 2007 and can be very troublesome.

Thanks bazz, i will look out for thoes problems! i guess my main concern is the engine , i was reading about some issues with the N42 engine which was on models from 01-04 i think, so im just hoping they sorted them out on its predecessor, the N46.

Im kinda interested in the 5 series aswell... decisions, decisions

Advertisement