Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homecare help

Options
  • 08-07-2012 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Not sure if posting this in the right thread but anyway here goes..

My mother is very sick with Lung cancer and has had four hospice stays.She now refuses to go in again and just wants to be at home for what time she has remaining.Myself brother, and two sisters do our best with staying over, day visits etc but with family and work commitments of our own its getting extremely difficult.

We are considering hiring a nurse a couple of nights a week to give us some relief and also offer comfort to my mother.Where if we decide to do this is best place to place an Ad?
    We have looked at some homecare companies and may go that route but cost also comes into it too and these seem quite expensive.I suppose ideally we are looking for someone willing to do a few nights a week obviously qualified or maybe a retired nurse.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi rovers2001, I've moved your post to the Long Term Illness forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Eoin wrote: »
    Hi rovers2001, I've moved your post to the Long Term Illness forum.
    Thanks alot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

hi rovers.

it'd be worth talking to your public health nurse, she'd have a good chance of knowing people around who'd be available. there are also some care agencies nationally, she'd probably know which ones are operating in your area.

best wishes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Definitely contact your local public health centre. My mother was looking after my father at home last year and he had a carer come in to wash him etc. This service is free, don't rush into getting a private nurse or carer until you check this out. She's also entitled to a night nurse for a certain amount of nights.

Advertisement