Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help!!! bein ripped off by meteor

Options
  • 08-07-2012 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

need advice on cancelling my meteor contract..myself n my partner bought our phones april last year on bill pay for 50 euro a month for 18 months.they are both on my account.
    for the first 3 months they overcharged me 150 euro for meteor to meteor calls n txts which are meant to be free.
    i got my recent phone bill in d door which i dont normally look at n they overcharged me again by 70 euro for meteor calls and txts. when i rang the lady said after 12 months i was meant to ring to re-activate the free calls and txts to meteor.
    i asked her bot my partners phone because it didnt happen him but she said his 12 months arent up untill end of july which doesnt make sense because we both got the phones the same day.
    she said she would cancel the payment n send out another payment of the right amount and i asked for an email to confirm and a week n a half later still waitin on email n i got charged the full amount to my bank which then made me get charged a fee because i missed another dd.
    it says nothing on my contract nor was i told that i had to ring to re-activate the free meteor to meteor.
    since i became bill pay my signal has been really bad and i am really unhappy with customer service.
    myself and my partner are lookin to get out of the contract now but dont know how they keep saying i have to pay cancelation fee but dont think i should have to since they the ones messin us around
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

You have an 18 month contract. It was signed in April last year, this is july of the following year so its still not 18 months yet. You do have to pay a cancellation charge afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

socz89 Can you please rewrite that post without the txtspk and with some paragraphs. It's quite hard to read as it is.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 10 socz89

Even if their overcharging me and not giving me the service they said in the begining

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

dudara wrote: »
    socz89 Can you please rewrite that post without the txtspk and with some paragraphs. It's quite hard to read as it is.

dudara

Glad it wasn't only me. Sorry OP but I really struggled to understand it too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Just cancel the Direct Debit and put any bills you get into the bill, Its a civil matter so the cops won't be at you door and if they get any debt collection companies involved just remember this is Ireland not Britain so they can't take your stuff or bother you. Look these companies soon get fed up of chasing you for money. :)

• Advertisement

Changed the txt speach and put paragraphs hope you can understand it better

Thanks i was thinking of emailing them saying they don't have permission to take money out and then cancel dd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

socz89 wrote: »
    Thanks i was thinking of emailing them saying they don't have permission to take money out and then cancel dd

Just cancel it, Don't E-mail them anything in case they try to take money out of your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Amber34

Dont get me started on them. They are the worst customer service I have ever had to deal with.

I took out my contract last December and every bill since has been overcharged to me. Cancelled my direct debit with the bank and went into my local Meteor shop to cancel and they said that was fine.

Direct Debit stopped for a couple of months and then they re-entered it without my authority despite the fact that my bills were always paid on time. I refused to pay by DD as they were taking the incorrect amount each month and then they would refuse to refund me and say it would be credited to my next bill. Then same story over again the following month, charged too much so getting no where!

I have never dealt with the likes of them. A representative of theirs rang me a week or two ago asking me how I felt about their service, he got an earful let me tell you and then told me to ring customer service and they would offer me some sort of compensation for all the inconvenience. I rang them and they said there was nothing they could do!!! I am sick to the teeth of them and am not one bit worried about opting out of my 18 month contract with them and they will not be getting any further money out of me either. :mad:

Amber34 wrote: »
    Dont get me started on them. They are the worst customer service I have ever had to deal with.

I took out my contract last December and every bill since has been overcharged to me. Cancelled my direct debit with the bank and went into my local Meteor shop to cancel and they said that was fine.

Direct Debit stopped for a couple of months and then they re-entered it without my authority despite the fact that my bills were always paid on time. I refused to pay by DD as they were taking the incorrect amount each month and then they would refuse to refund me and say it would be credited to my next bill. Then same story over again the following month, charged too much so getting no where!

I have never dealt with the likes of them. A representative of theirs rang me a week or two ago asking me how I felt about their service, he got an earful let me tell you and then told me to ring customer service and they would offer me some sort of compensation for all the inconvenience. I rang them and they said there was nothing they could do!!! I am sick to the teeth of them and am not one bit worried about opting out of my 18 month contract with them and they will not be getting any further money out of me either. :mad:
    Ye thats what they are saying to me. I missed another payment because they took out 70euro to much and got an additional 12.70 charge. I was reading the forums on their site n everyone having the same problem. Im going to do what you did and cancel dd and move my money to a different account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ye thats what they are saying to me. I missed another payment because they took out 70euro to much and got an additional 12.70 charge. I was reading the forums on their site n everyone having the same problem. Im going to do what you did and cancel dd and move my money to a different account

Contact Comreg give them all the details without any of the fluff (your signal and billing problem are un-related). Stick to the facts there strong enough to stand on there own. Detail are here http://www.comreg.ie/contact_us/comreg_contact_details.141.contact.html They should resolve the problem within 10 days for you.

Contact Comreg give them all the details without any of the fluff (your signal and billing problem are un-related). Stick to the facts there strong enough to stand on there own. Detail are here http://www.comreg.ie/contact_us/comreg_contact_details.141.contact.html They should resolve the problem within 10 days for you.

Ye i will contact them thank you all so much will update after i talk to them

Ye i will contact them thank you all so much will update after i talk to them

update comreg sorted my problem last month and now meteor overcharged me again by €140. i cancelled my dd in my bank and will be sending meteor an email to tell them i do not authorize them to take money out of my bank

• Moderators Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Spocker

... and will be sending meteor an email to tell them i do not authorize them to take money out of my bank

Don't send an email, you'll never be able to prove they received it. Send a registered letter instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Cc consumerline@comreg.ie when you email them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Spocker wrote: »
    Don't send an email, you'll never be able to prove they received it. Send a registered letter instead.
    Sending an email should be sufficient, and they will acknowledge the email so this is proof enough that they recieved it! They do insist on getting it in writing but in 2012 an email is considered the same as a letter! that is also a bit lame considering they can and do set up duplicate direct debits without any permissions or authorisation either written or any other kind.

Make sure you take Sponge Bob's good advice here,
    Sponge Bob wrote: »

Also when you do cancel make sure to check your bank balance regularly as they have been known to set up another DD without permission when a customer cancels the direct debit due to their misuse or not adhering to the direct debit guidelines and rules.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Spocker wrote: »
    Sending an email should be sufficient, and they will acknowledge the email so this is proof enough that they recieved it! They do insist on getting it in writing but in 2012 an email is considered the same as a letter! that is also a bit lame considering they can and do set up duplicate direct debits without any permissions or authorisation either written or any other kind.

Make sure you take Sponge Bob's good advice here,
    Sponge Bob wrote: »

Also when you do cancel make sure to check your bank balance regularly as they have been known to set up another DD without permission when a customer cancels the direct debit due to their misuse or not adhering to the direct debit guidelines and rules.

i have sent them an email n took your advice too thank you so hopefully tomorrow i can cancel it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

need advice on cancelling my meteor contract..myself n my partner bought our phones april last year on bill pay for 50 euro a month for 18 months.they are both on my account.
    for the first 3 months they overcharged me 150 euro for meteor to meteor calls n txts which are meant to be free.
    i got my recent phone bill in d door which i dont normally look at n they overcharged me again by 70 euro for meteor calls and txts. when i rang the lady said after 12 months i was meant to ring to re-activate the free calls and txts to meteor.
    i asked her bot my partners phone because it didnt happen him but she said his 12 months arent up untill end of july which doesnt make sense because we both got the phones the same day.
    she said she would cancel the payment n send out another payment of the right amount and i asked for an email to confirm and a week n a half later still waitin on email n i got charged the full amount to my bank which then made me get charged a fee because i missed another dd.
    it says nothing on my contract nor was i told that i had to ring to re-activate the free meteor to meteor.
    since i became bill pay my signal has been really bad and i am really unhappy with customer service.
    myself and my partner are lookin to get out of the contract now but dont know how they keep saying i have to pay cancelation fee but dont think i should have to since they the ones messin us around

As far as I know, and I did notice it to be very clearly outlined in the t&cs, after 12 months of an 18 month contract the free calls and/or texts are to be ceased. It clearly states it imo.

I'd say you didn't actually read this prior to signing up, which is unfortunate.

As for the re-activation I didn't know anything about this process either - that seems a little bit hazy on the part of the representative.

du Maurier wrote: »

As far as I know, and I did notice it to be very clearly outlined in the t&cs, after 12 months of an 18 month contract the free calls and/or texts are to be ceased. It clearly states it imo.

I'd say you didn't actually read this prior to signing up, which is unfortunate.

As for the re-activation I didn't know anything about this process either - that seems a little bit hazy on the part of the representative.

were can you see those t&c??? would like to read them. i read them in my contract and could not see that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

were can you see those t&c??? would like to read them. i read them in my contract and could not see that

i have seen in my own house the three i live with they have this habit of signing up to contracts that look very good, i always ask have ye read the small print, and generally they do not, thinking they know it all, then a few months down the line i hear someone moaning, that what they signed up to has been broken, again i ask, why did you not read the small print, and they just get mad with me,
    because once the companies have it written somewhere that things can change months down the line, does not matter what size print it is in, they have a case,
    i always went pay as you go, and will always go pay as you go, because of this kind of thing happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

goat2 wrote: »
    because once the companies have it written somewhere that things can change months down the line, does not matter what size print it is in, they have a case,

in fairness...if i buy a product that says it does X, i'd expect it to continue to do this X for the duration of the contract.

Otherwise (as far as i'm concerned) its a case of misselling a product

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I must be very lucky that I have never had any issues with my Meteor bill. In fact I don't recall any issues at all in the last 11 months. I'm out of contract next month and I will be moving on to another better offer elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It does state on all their current offers that they are for 12 months only and it akso stated this for their older offers. They don't have to put it in lights they just have to put it in print which they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

http://www.meteor.ie/terms_and_conditions/portingoffer/

Well, I did take a brief look at their t&cs and came across this. As far as I know signing up to it was/is a promotional offer. Free calls and texts duration is 12 months.

It didn't take much time to search this tbf.

du Maurier wrote: »
    http://www.meteor.ie/terms_and_conditions/portingoffer/

Well, I did take a brief look at their t&cs and came across this. As far as I know signing up to it was/is a promotional offer. Free calls and texts duration is 12 months.

It didn't take much time to search this tbf.

My partner got a text of meteor sayin he has the deal for life and he does not need to do anything its done automatically so meteor are contradicting

Advertisement