Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Rekord Van in Galway?

Options
  • 08-07-2012 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Thought I saw a black Opel Rekord van in Galway last week? It was distinctive as it had side exhausts. Has anyone else seen it? There used to be one around Galway over 20 years ago that I used to see from time to time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Blue850

Same van, same owner. It was in storage for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

I was thinking it was the same, I remember the side exhausts on it, not too many with those! Always thought it was very cool and unique, especially compared to the Fiesta Van I had at the time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Rekord van, Sierra van -remember them. Interesting and rare due to our VRT / tax system .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I remember one of them in Glaunthaune in Co Cork. The owner was known in rallying as the "Golden Spanner". As you can guess, the vehicle wasn't standard....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

kevin65 wrote: »
    Thought I saw a black Opel Rekord van in Galway last week? It was distinctive as it had side exhausts. Has anyone else seen it? There used to be one around Galway over 20 years ago that I used to see from time to time.

....lol, is that still around ? He used to go around with a trailer and lawnmowers, doing gardens.

....gosh, what a blast from the past, that. All we need now is that black MKIII Cortina with the jack-up kit and sidepipes - from Oranmore - and we'll be right back in the '80's !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....lol, is that still around ? He used to go around with a trailer and lawnmowers, doing gardens.

....gosh, what a blast from the past, that. All we need now is that black MKIII Cortina with the jack-up kit and sidepipes - from Oranmore - and we'll be right back in the '80's !!

If it's the fella I'm thinking of, I doubt he was going much gardening, unless the lawnmower had a V8 in it. The same fella is good at extracting useable power from an engine.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Blue850

The black one in Galway used to have the trailer of lawnmowers permanently attached to it.

ianobrien wrote: »
    If it's the fella I'm thinking of, I doubt he was going much gardening, unless the lawnmower had a V8 in it. The same fella is good at extracting useable power from an engine.....
    Blue850 wrote: »
    The black one in Galway used to have the trailer of lawnmowers permanently attached to it.

I may have got Galway and Cork mixed up. Wouldn't be the first time mind......

Advertisement