Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lobe Peircing w/ Fake Plug

Options
  • 08-07-2012 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭

Howdy,
    Im very new to peircings and such, thus far I have none.
    I want to get my lobes peirced and stretched, however due to job and safety reasons I cant.

I was wondering if its possible to get a lobe peircing and immediatly use a fake plug instead of a stud? or how long would I need to wait to be able to change to that type of peircing?
    (I have 3 months to allow the peircing to heal before the job/safety reasons take effect)

Thanks for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Would you have to go without jewellery for long periods of time, in 3 months? They would probably close up if that were the case.

You probably won't be able to get pierced with fake plugs, any I've seen have been made of low quality materials. I'd recommend waiting 6 weeks at least before changing jewellery in a fresh piercing.

Why not get your ears pierced at a slightly larger gauge, something like 3 or 4mm. That way you could wear real plugs, and it wouldn't really be noticeable if you didn't have jewellery in. They'd also be less likely to close up if they were pierced larger.

Regarding fake plugs... a lot of people with mods might not have much respect for them. To me it's like wearing a fake lip piercing or something. At the same time you shouldn't let that stop you if you like the look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I've always heard you need to keep new piercings in for a week. As for not respecting fake plugs, some people like how they look but don't want that look all the time or some people (me) have ears which are too sensitive to stretch. I don't think there's anything wrong with it but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Nobody mentioned 'respecting' fake plugs, they're just often made from cheap materials, so would not be suitable for a fresh piercing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

finality wrote: »
    Would you have to go without jewellery for long periods of time, in 3 months? They would probably close up if that were the case.

I wouldnt have to go long periods no, also I can have pericing retainers in. Just not plugs because it is a uniformed service.

You probably won't be able to get pierced with fake plugs, any I've seen have been made of low quality materials. I'd recommend waiting 6 weeks at least before changing jewellery in a fresh piercing.

Why not get your ears pierced at a slightly larger gauge, something like 3 or 4mm. That way you could wear real plugs, and it wouldn't really be noticeable if you didn't have jewellery in. They'd also be less likely to close up if they were pierced larger.

3/4mm wouldnt be accepted by the job.
    And I will fully research any jewellery I use, thannk you for that advice :)
    I have been looking at some Stainless Steel fake plugs. Would that be appropiate for after the 6 weeks?

Regarding fake plugs... I don't think a lot of people with mods would have much respect for them to be honest. To me it's like wearing a fake lip piercing or something.

Peronally I dont care if other people with mods didnt dont respect fake plugs. I want to have this certain body modification but cannot for reasons outside my control so this is my way of getting the look that I want. Which is the whole point of body mods in a way isnt it?

Thank you again for all the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

If someone doesn't respect your fake plugs just tell them to shut up. I'm 18mm at the moment and wouldn't have a problem with anyone using fake ones, I'm don't think I'm important enough to be bothered by what someone else has.

One of my friends had fake plugs before and they looked grand.
    Go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    3/4mm wouldnt be accepted by the job.
    And I will fully research any jewellery I use, thannk you for that advice :)
    I have been looking at some Stainless Steel fake plugs. Would that be appropiate for after the 6 weeks?

Stainless steel should be fine. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I wear fake plugs and tapers because I like the look of them but Im not allowed piercings in work.I put in a clear plastic retainer during the day and change to plugs after hours.

I get them here

http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/search/index.cfm?sSearchString=fake+plugs&x=15&y=13

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Advertisement