Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECHR and District C ourt

Options
  • 08-07-2012 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Can somebody stand up in front of a district court and state their rights have been breached under 2 Articles of the ECHR and what would then happen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

EDIT My bad - I read it as Article 2 not 2 articles.

I need more wine.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

charman wrote: »
    Can somebody stand up in front of a district court and state their rights have been breached under 2 Articles of the ECHR and what would then happen?

In a court of Summary Jurisdiction such as the District Court, probably not much. The judge may pay 'judicial notice' but invariably if a case is being returned in the DC it's either a Civil or Criminal matter. Divide them up: Criminal, I'd say short shrift and off we go. Civil, usually trial scenario, court again, might take notice but decide the issues on a just and practical level.

The breach of rights, egregious as it might seem to you must be weight against the greater good, most rights are not absolute.

While the Charter plays a much stronger role since Lisbon, I think you'll find you're wasting your time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

It depends on whether the person has pleaded guilty or not guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Given the stereotypical view of DC Judges I do have an image similar to that scene in the South Park movie where Chef asks the General if he has heard of the emancipation proclamation and gets the answer "I don't listen to hip-hop".

Advertisement