Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need advice please!!

Options
  • 07-07-2012 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi, I got my degree in 2010 in NUIM. I did Arts; English and Philosophy. I did this because I've never known what it is I want to do with my life. When I finished school I worked, then decided to go to college and picked those subjects, I've always loved English.
    Basically in school I adored art and wanted to get into fashion design but I kept feeling like this was not right. This is for many reasons; Including the fact my guidance counselor at school said I shouldn't do it because I should be a nurse even though it doesn't interest me and I didn't do science.
    Then a few other things affected me and I started working and just felt knocked back. I decided to go to college and said to myself if I don't get accepted to Maynooth I'd do hair dressing-random, I know that's my problem.
    I love art, I always have, and I'm really creative but I am 25 now and have gotten to this point where all my decisions have been based on not disappointing others and now I just don't know what I want to do. I feel like I cant just go back to college for an undergraduate course because I feel I'm getting too old and I just don't have the money.
    I thought maybe a career in PR and events would be suited to me and I got accepted to Fitzwilliam but now I am even questioning this, again it partially comes from a monetary perspective and that I just worry constantly. Then I worry that this may not be the right choice and I'm going crazy.
    I know I want to be creative and happy and secure but I don't know what to do. I don't want to let people down and I feel like I need to just do something with my life. I feel like a waster...
    If anyone just has any advice regarding PR, events or anyone who has been in a similar position I'd love to hear from you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It certainly does sound like you are doing what others want you to do, not what you want to do.

So, my advice would be to do just that - what you want to do. If you enjoy what you do, you will excel at it. If, however, you don't enjoy what you are doing, you will flounder.

Could you get a job in retail and perhaps go back to college in the evening to study fashion? Maybe the combined experience of retail and the college course could get you to where you want to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

jojo86 wrote: »
    Basically in school I adored art and wanted to get into fashion design but I kept feeling like this was not right. This is for many reasons; Including the fact my guidance counselor at school said I shouldn't do it...
    Sod your guidance counsellor. If you like art and want to work in fashion, then go do it. Now.
    I love art, I always have, and I'm really creative but I am 25 now and have gotten to this point where all my decisions have been based on not disappointing others and now I just don't know what I want to do.
    Do what you want to do. Forget about others – it’s you who has to live your life, not others. It’s not worth being unhappy just to please other people.
    I feel like I cant just go back to college for an undergraduate course because I feel I'm getting too old...
    Jaysus, you’re only 25! You’re still a baby!
    I thought maybe a career in PR and events would be suited to me and I got accepted to Fitzwilliam but now I am even questioning this, again it partially comes from a monetary perspective and that I just worry constantly. Then I worry that this may not be the right choice and I'm going crazy.
    You won’t know if something is right for you until you’re actually doing it, but people tend to regret the things they didn’t do rather than the things they did. The people who say that have probably never been to Vegas, but I digress...

The bottom line is, stop worrying about what other people think and start focussing on yourself. Time to be selfish.

Advertisement